Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2011, 10:44 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Versa - '12 Nissan Versa Hatchback S
90 day: 39.65 mpg (US)
Sentra SE-R, How do you do your P&G with the ATs?

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-25-2011, 11:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Fhqwhgads

Vibe o' the Ozarks - '07 Pontiac Vibe
90 day: 31.22 mpg (US)
Nice to see someone else from around St Louis!
Since my car is not 'tow-flat friendly,' I do not shut my engine off at all. But by cruising at 65 or below, "Pulse" and gliding within my DFCO range, and watching the load on my SGII, I'm managing OK FE for an auto Vibe.

I also try to drive across St. Louis during off-peak hours...and try to avoid I-270 like the plague.

"Price is what the person pays. Cost is what society pays, here, now, elsewhere and into the future." Natural Capitalism

Last edited by TheMarkofPolo; 02-25-2011 at 11:55 PM.. Reason: My spelling is turrible.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
Pishtaco

Mean Green Toaster Machine - '06 Scion xB
Team Toyota
90 day: 48.92 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sularus View Post
Sentra SE-R, How do you do your P&G with the ATs?
I accelerate moderately so the TC doesn't slip (Scangauge or Ultragauge helps to maximize acceleration without forcing kickdown and TC slippage - just watch the % engine load), shift to neutral when I reach my desired top speed, and coast back down to my lower speed. I try to use a range (delta) from 50-65 mph. I watch my rear view mirror, and stay in the right lane. If a semi comes within 1/4 mile behind me, I set my cruise control at 55 mph and don't P&G until he passes me. Then I do a P&G (or several) with him as my windbreaker. I always try to coast as much as possible on downhills.

If there's absolutely no one else around, I'll coast down to 45 mph or even 40. If I'm on a two lane road, I'll P&G with the PSL as my top speed, and a 10 or 15 mph delta when there's no traffic behind me. If there's no passing restriction, I slow to 5 mph below the PSL and let them pass me. If there's double yellow striping, I set the cruise control to the PSL until 5 cars stack up behind me, then I'll pull off and let them pass me.

Boycotting Exxon since 1989, BP since 2010
Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin
Mean Green Toaster Machine
49.5 mpg avg over 53,000 miles. 176% of '08 EPA
Best flat drive 94.5 mpg for 10.1 mi
Longest tank 1033 km (642 mi) on 10.56 gal = 60.8 mpg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SentraSE-R For This Useful Post:
abogart (04-04-2011), Sularus (02-26-2011)
Old 02-26-2011, 10:12 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Versa - '12 Nissan Versa Hatchback S
90 day: 39.65 mpg (US)
Thanks Sentra SE-R, I will try to incorporate some of these techniques in my commute. I may leave for work a few minutes earlier, it should mean less traffic on the two lane in the morning to help with trying some of this.

J

come to think of it, I may have tried some of this before. Not to this extent, but if I recall I gave up on it because the glide portion wasn't very long because of aero drag. From 45 down, my car glides great, but at 55 it slows down to 45 pretty quick in neutral. I am still trying to figure out what to do with the rear end of the car to help with that.

Last edited by Sularus; 02-26-2011 at 10:14 AM.. Reason: extra thoughts.....i know its a surprise
Reply  Post New Thread