Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2016, 05:57 PM   #51 (permalink)
Full sized hybrid.

Suzy - '13 Toyota Avalon Hybrid XLE
90 day: 37.18 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Basjoos' is a good example to follow.

For stowing solar panels in a small package for transportation, look to space satellites.
Maybe I could fit them all in the boat tail and then take then out and unfold them. I hope it never happens on a windy day.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 03-22-2016, 09:52 PM   #52 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Folding-Stainless-Mesh-Food-Dish-Vegetable-Egg-Poacher-Steamer-Basket-Cooker-/390607640902

Flexible rectangular solar panels. The light that reflects off their surfaces focuses on a thermocouple mast in the center.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zackary (03-23-2016), Xist (03-24-2016)
Old 03-23-2016, 12:16 AM   #53 (permalink)
Full sized hybrid.

Quote:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Folding-Stainless-Mesh-Food-Dish-Vegetable-Egg-Poacher-Steamer-Basket-Cooker-/390607640902

Flexible rectangular solar panels. The light that reflects off their surfaces focuses on a thermocouple mast in the center.
Haha! When I saw the email from this thread (I'm subscribed automatically it seems) I thought it was something serious! But this is hilarious!

On a similar note, I had thought about putting together some sort of huge parabolic tent like structure, but upsidedown, and made of a reflective material like space blankets or something. Then suspend a gallium arsenide panel in the middle. But with the slightest wind...
Old 03-23-2016, 02:56 PM   #54 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

• Ha Ha, you thought I wasn't serious!
  • Life's too short to be serious.

Choose one.

I was thinking of something like the turret on the APC in Aliens. It had an L-shaped track so it could move up the back and around onto the top. The collector would be the boat tail.

...in some lurid fantasty.
Old 02-09-2017, 01:43 AM   #55 (permalink)
Full sized hybrid.

Now that I have my EV a strange concept just came to me. A ~25hp steam engine pusher trailer. It would be quiet and I'd imagine that it would be much easier to get good emissions on. Efficiency would be hard to achieve though.
Old 02-09-2017, 03:58 AM   #56 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Are we talking about a solar tracker that works while the vehicle is in motion, like a tank turret?
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Isaac Zackary (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 05:47 AM   #57 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Firefly EV - '98 Pontiac Firefly EV
90 day: 107.65 mpg (US)

Little Boy Blue - '05 Toyota Echo
90 day: 33.35 mpg (US)

BlueZ - '19 Nissan 370Z Sport
90 day: 17.19 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Zackary View Post
Now that I have my EV a strange concept just came to me. A ~25hp steam engine pusher trailer. It would be quiet and I'd imagine that it would be much easier to get good emissions on. Efficiency would be hard to achieve though.
Efficiency will go right out the window. What form of fuel would you run it on? About the only thing that will burn clean is propane and or natural gas.

You'd do better to convert an engine to run on said fuel instead. Defeats the purpose if you only get 1/4 the power out of the same amount of fuel.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stubby79 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2017, 06:14 AM   #58 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Based on the fact this thread came back to life after almost a year, I thought we were talking about running it on sunlight.
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2017, 10:23 AM   #59 (permalink)
Full sized hybrid.

Quote:
Are we talking about a solar tracker that works while the vehicle is in motion, like a tank turret?
Quote:
Based on the fact this thread came back to life after almost a year, I thought we were talking about running it on sunlight.
I'm still thinking about that one. The trailer would have to fold up. We're talking about something that can fold out to over 500 square feet. That's what it would take to get the battery charged in my Leaf in 4 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubby79 View Post
Efficiency will go right out the window. What form of fuel would you run it on? About the only thing that will burn clean is propane and or natural gas.

You'd do better to convert an engine to run on said fuel instead. Defeats the purpose if you only get 1/4 the power out of the same amount of fuel.
I was thinking propane, regardless of whether I do internal or external combustions. However, doing some research, the 1920's Doble Steamers could run on kerosene, diesel or gasoline and got emissions about what CARB would want today! The reason is that as you increase steam engine efficiency you do it in part by increasing the boiler temperature. So then you have this super hot lean continuous flame. That in itself eats up nearly all the HC, CO, VOC and PM emissions. And since it's not compressed you don't get the NOx emissions along with it like you do in an internal combustion engine.

I was thinking with steam of doing a high pressure super heated steam triple or quadruple expansion engine. If I get the pressure and temperature high enough I should be able to get as much as 20% efficiency. The problem is that I can't seem to find any engines like that. Reliable Steamhas a triple expansion engine, but it's only rated to 200psi. They also have a V4 double expansion engine that's rated to 1,000psi.

On the other hand, I do have a 1985 VW diesel engine with a 23:1CR that can get 55mpg at 70mph unmodified. It has the whole car with transaxle and driveline and wheels. I was also looking at Mr. Sharkey's VW diesel pusher that he did for his EV in which he cut the front end off and made it into a trailer. He added propane fumigation. I could too. The ignition could still be the diesel injection pump left indefinitely at idle and could be used as a dual fuel backup. Or I could tap out the injector holes and add sparkplugs. I could put a propane carb on the intake and use a ball valve on the propane line as a throttle. I'd have to redesign the intake though since the air cleaner is part of the plenum and I'd want it to be in the order of filter, carb, plenum, not carb, filter, plenum. I bet I could get an intake for a gasoline car VW with carb and all that would be a direct fit.

As it is now, the 1985 VW diesel engine is noisy and leaves big black clouds of smoke wherever it goes. It would be a great engine for efficiency and it's already bought and paid for. But it wouldn't be so great for emissions and noise. Besides propane fumigation I was also thinking of water injection, urea injection, Miller cycle and EGR for reducing emissions. But from what I've read everything has it's pros and cons. Propane fumigation lowers NOx and PM but increases HC emissions, Water injection lowers NOx at low loads but increases it at higher loads. EGR increases PM and HC emissions. And on top of that this is still a 23:1 CR mechanically indirect injected diesel engine.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:00 AM   #60 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,525 Times in 2,799 Posts
You do realize that classical boiler design calls for 8 to 10 square feet of boiler heat exchanger surface area.
Compact boilers that weigh a ton or so make less than 10 horsepower.
Thean reason to use a boiler is so that you can burn something that doesn't burn so well in a piston driven application. Something like coal, wood or bunker oil.

The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
Xist (02-09-2017)
Reply  Post New Thread