Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2020, 05:07 PM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Quote:
Yes, I'm planning to drive the axle, and I'm picturing the most reasonable axle to use for my configuration is a straight axle. As I've read through the replies, I think finding an appropriately sized manufactured trailer is the best path. Then, swap in a solid axle that matches, and work on a modified trailer instead of a scratch-built trailer.
Your search term is American Underslung.
Quote:
I expect the easiest way to control the load is to drive the system with an electric motor, but the least expensive way will be with a small gas engine. I'll be starting the design effort soon, and will see if any nice electric power options come up on the used market.
I gave it my best shot at Permalink #12. Any hybrid SUV with an electric rear axle will have a complete drivetrain and suspension as an OEM pre-engineered unit.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-13-2020, 05:10 PM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe_Hybrid View Post
torque steer happens when drive wheels turn the car watch any Ford Mustang Crash Compilation and you will get the idea what that is
I see what you're suggesting.

My understanding is that torque steer is what happens when power applied to the driven wheels on the steering axle results in undesired steering input.

I was under the impression what you are describing is called "fishtailing". Limiting the power to a trailer should be able to keep fishtailing from occurring at all, except in extreme circumstances. I imagine being able to disable trailer power in extreme weather conditions, for example.
Old 01-13-2020, 06:17 PM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

With OEM components you should be able to do torque vectoring on the driven axle.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:17 PM   #24 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

UFI - '12 Fiat 500 Twinair
Team Turbocharged!
90 day: 40.3 mpg (US)

Jeep - '05 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
90 day: 18.09 mpg (US)

R32 - '89 Nissan Skyline

STiG - '16 Renault Trafic 140dCi Energy
90 day: 30.12 mpg (US)

Prius - '05 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 50.25 mpg (US)

Premodded - '49 Ford Freighter
90 day: 13.48 mpg (US)

F-117 - '10 Proton Arena GLSi
Pickups
Mitsubishi
90 day: 37.82 mpg (US)

Ralica - '85 Toyota Celica ST
90 day: 25.23 mpg (US)

Sx4 - '07 Suzuki Sx4
90 day: 32.21 mpg (US)

F-117 (2) - '03 Citroen Xsara VTS
90 day: 30.06 mpg (US)
Thousands of push trailers in use the world over:

Quote:
Pusher

The pusher bus needs a damping system in the joint to reduce the risk of jack-knifing and fishtailing. This was developed by the FFG Fahrzeugwerkstätten Falkenried in Germany. The production cost of the pusher bus was lower than that of a puller bus. The puller bus was a completely different construction compared to a solo bus which was often fabricated by external body construction firms due to the lower production numbers compared to solo buses. The pusher concept enabled the bus manufacturer to simply join a forward and a rear part of a solo bus and build the articulated bus completely in-house. This reduced the production cost.

In pusher buses, only the rear axle is powered by a rear-mounted internal combustion engine, and the longitudinal stability of the vehicle is maintained by active hydraulics mounted under the turntable. This modern system makes it possible to build buses without steps and having low floors along their entire length, which simplifies access for passengers with limited mobility.

Modern low-floor pusher articulated buses also tend to suffer from suspension problems because their wheels lack sufficient travel to enable them to absorb typical road surface unevenness. This also leads to passenger discomfort and relatively rapid disintegration of the vehicle's superstructure.[citation needed]

Makers of pusher-type articulated buses include Mercedes-Benz, New Flyer Industries, MAN, Volvo and Scania. The Renault PR 180 and PR 180.2 (articulated versions of the PR 100 and PR 100.2) were a special variation of the pusher design in which both the middle and the rear axles were driven, with a driveshaft passing through the turntable between the two driving axles.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Articulated_bus#Pusher

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oldtamiyaphile For This Useful Post:
cray54 (01-13-2020), freebeard (01-13-2020)
Old 01-13-2020, 07:25 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2020 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H
Last 3: 18.4 mpg (US)

2021 - '08 Chevy Tahoe H
90 day: 17.08 mpg (US)

2022 - '08 chevy Tahoe LT
Last 3: 14.38 mpg (US)

2023 - '08 Chevy Tahoe
Last 3: 22.61 mpg (US)

2024 - '08 Chevy Tahoe
90 day: 22.35 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtamiyaphile View Post
Thousands of push trailers in use the world over:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Articulated_bus#Pusher
do you think the op will do that? or just put a ball trailer and hope for the best yes i'm aware of those buses I live in Los Angeles
Old 01-13-2020, 07:34 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I ride one almost every day.
Quote:
Modern low-floor pusher articulated buses also tend to suffer from suspension problems because their wheels lack sufficient travel to enable them to absorb typical road surface unevenness.
Confirmed. I wondered why that was.

edit:
Apparently sway control devices need to be disconnected to back up:

http://www.sunlineclub.com/forums/f7...rol-11195.html
The control rod impinges on the hitch in the first pic.

Last edited by freebeard; 01-13-2020 at 07:44 PM..
Reply  Post New Thread