Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hybrids
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

My C-Max - '13 Ford C-Max SEL
Question about fender edge extensions

Hey Guys,

Well, I have 20,000 miles on my C-Max and I am about to begin aero mods. I had a 60.1mpg day yesterday (156 miles at 60.1mpg) with the car totally stock. I would love to see 60+mpg days regularly. So, to that end, I am beginning the aeromodding process.

The first items are fender edge extensions to somewhat close the gap between the tires and fenders.

I have been looking at this for some time now and there really is not any decent way to mount the extensions inside the wheelwells. So, it looks like I will have to stick them to the outside of the fender edge. Luckily the body is very flat right there. So, there is good area to stick them to. The question I have is this;

Will the aero affect of closing that gap be offset by the additional edge of the extension hitting the air? I will bevel the edge with a very gradual transition to minimize added drag at the edge. But, there will be an edge, none-the-less.

So, what are your thoughts?

Also, a quick list of the mods I plan on doing this summer are;

#1 Fender extensions as I mentioned.

#2 Wheels discs (probably clear Polycarbonate discs)

#3 Rear belly pan to cover the area under the cargo section at the rear of the car where the factory pan does not cover.

#4 Aero covers for my recesses fog lights (heat formed from Polycarbonate)

#5 A dropped nose/chin spoiler. The entire under carriage is 6 inches off the ground. However, the chin spoiler is 9 inches up. I want to drop it that extra 3 inches to reduce air turbulence and speed under the car.

Matt

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread