Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2008, 11:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Renaissance Man

Aegean C - '17 Honda Civic LX
90 day: 38.89 mpg (US)
Scanguage users - accuracy question

Just a question for people running Scanguages. I have noticed that mine seems to be consistently wrong in measuring fuel consumed and mpg. It seems that I am consistently using about 5-10% more fuel than the Scanguage shows. As a result the gas mileage shown by the Scanguage is about 2 mpg higher than what I come up with calculating it the old fashioned way. Anyone have similar issues?

Also, does anyone know how the Scanguage measures how much fuel has been burned? I would think it must be using either the MAF sensor and/or the O2 sensor, but Scanguage cannot show any data from those sensors so I dunno.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-30-2008, 11:44 PM   #2 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula413 View Post
Just a question for people running Scanguages. I have noticed that mine seems to be consistently wrong in measuring fuel consumed and mpg. It seems that I am consistently using about 5-10% more fuel than the Scanguage shows. As a result the gas mileage shown by the Scanguage is about 2 mpg higher than what I come up with calculating it the old fashioned way. Anyone have similar issues?

Welcome to the site

You have to tweak the scan gauge to the car. When you fill up there is a screen that lets you change the amount that the scan gauge calcuated and what you actually used. If you fine tune it this way with large fillups it should be right on. I did two 10 gallon fills on a 12 gallon tank and mine is with in .1 every time. If you have done this and it's still reading differnt everytime then I think you have a problem with the SG.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
MP$

Send a message via MSN to diesel_john
i am just now setting up a fuel computer i bought in Europe that uses the vss and the pulse width to calculate real time fuel econmy. Will work on any gas engine with multiple fuel injectors. The user calibrates the device to the individual vehicle. It doesn't rely on On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) generated data. i will post my findings when i am confident in the data.

Last edited by diesel_john; 01-30-2008 at 11:55 PM..
Old 01-31-2008, 02:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
diesel_john -

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_john View Post
i am just now setting up a fuel computer i bought in Europe that uses the vss and the pulse width to calculate real time fuel econmy. Will work on any gas engine with multiple fuel injectors. The user calibrates the device to the individual vehicle. It doesn't rely on On-Board Diagnostic (OBD) generated data. i will post my findings when i am confident in the data.
Very cool. Looking forward to your results.

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 01-31-2008, 05:43 PM   #5 (permalink)
Renaissance Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Welcome to the site

You have to tweak the scan gauge to the car. When you fill up there is a screen that lets you change the amount that the scan gauge calcuated and what you actually used. If you fine tune it this way with large fillups it should be right on. I did two 10 gallon fills on a 12 gallon tank and mine is with in .1 every time. If you have done this and it's still reading differnt everytime then I think you have a problem with the SG.
Wow, I never thought of that. I always look at that screen and just hit "done", it never occured to me to try correcting it. Thanks for the tip.

Old 08-24-2008, 08:32 AM   #6 (permalink)
testing the waters

Mabey you've got dirty injectors

Run some injector cleaner in the tank

If your injectors are dirty they're not shooting the amount of gas the computer thinks it is.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:29 AM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Tupper - '97 Saturn SW2
90 day: 37.52 mpg (US)
The scanguage uses engine load to calculate fuel economy. Unfortunately it does not look at injector pulse width and VSS to calculate which is much more accurate. Engine load comes from MAP, IAT, and RPM/TPS. There may be a few more variables involved but that's the gist.

Hopefully Diesel_john's tool turns out to be a winner. Do you have to tap the injector wires John?
Old 08-26-2008, 04:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Renaissance Man

Since this thread was resurrected I just thought I would mention that my Scangauge II is now properly calibrated and very accurate. Calibration is +5%

Reply  Post New Thread