Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2021, 12:22 AM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModding Newb
 
redpoint5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,827

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 28.24 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 27.02 mpg (US)
Thanks: 3,066
Thanked 3,391 Times in 2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
In Oregon the registration for an electric car is $306 a year OR $86 if you enroll in Oregon's fee per mile program called OReGO. With OReGO you are billed 1.8 cents per mile traveled on public roads in Oregon. If you drive less than 12,222 miles per year it is cheaper to sign up for OReGO.

(I've been an OReGO member since the trial started and it works fine)
Mmm, Oreos. That reminds me that my parents should probably sign up for that since they certainly travel less than 12k. They drive daily, but probably average 20 miles.

Regarding Leaf batteries; they are junk. Their environmental controls are all but non-existent, which is a necessity for EVs considering most other manufacturers implement it. My parents 9 year old Leaf is down to about 2/3 capacity. In the winter that can mean as little as 35 miles of range.

__________________
Gas and Electric Vehicle Cost of Ownership Calculator







Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
  Reply With Quote
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 03-15-2021, 10:33 AM   #22 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason
 
JSH's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: PDX
Posts: 1,938

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)

Dieselgate - '14 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
90 day: 38.24 mpg (US)
Thanks: 128
Thanked 1,110 Times in 755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Mmm, Oreos. That reminds me that my parents should probably sign up for that since they certainly travel less than 12k. They drive daily, but probably average 20 miles.

Regarding Leaf batteries; they are junk. Their environmental controls are all but non-existent, which is a necessity for EVs considering most other manufacturers implement it. My parents 9 year old Leaf is down to about 2/3 capacity. In the winter that can mean as little as 35 miles of range.
Your parents is a 2012 then? That was before they made the change to improved "lizard" batteries.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 11:25 AM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding Newb
 
redpoint5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,827

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 28.24 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 27.02 mpg (US)
Thanks: 3,066
Thanked 3,391 Times in 2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
Your parents is a 2012 then? That was before they made the change to improved "lizard" batteries.
Yes, I didn't buy it like I had planned. Were it my decision they would be in a '13+ model (lizard in '14). I've read that the newer batteries also degrade quickly.
__________________
Gas and Electric Vehicle Cost of Ownership Calculator







Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 01:17 PM   #24 (permalink)
EV convert
 
oil pan 4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: NewMexico (USA)
Posts: 9,174

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)

Snow flake - '11 Nissan Leaf SL
SUV
90 day: 141.63 mpg (US)
Thanks: 222
Thanked 3,002 Times in 2,337 Posts
Yep mine has a 2014 batt and it shows. Was at 12 bars from when I got it till about a year ago, still at 11 bars.
A 2 or 3 year older non lizard batt would be in far worse shape.
__________________
1984 chevy suburban, custom made 6.5L diesel turbocharged with a Garrett T76 and Holset HE351VE, 22:1 compression 13psi of intercooled boost.
1989 firebird mostly stock. Aside from the 6-speed manual trans, corvette gen 5 front brakes, 1LE drive shaft, 4th Gen disc brake fbody rear end.
2011 leaf SL, white, portable 240v CHAdeMO, trailer hitch, new batt as of 2014.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 01:27 PM   #25 (permalink)
EcoModding Newb
 
redpoint5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,827

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 28.24 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 27.02 mpg (US)
Thanks: 3,066
Thanked 3,391 Times in 2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oil pan 4 View Post
Yep mine has a 2014 batt and it shows. Was at 12 bars from when I got it till about a year ago, still at 11 bars.
A 2 or 3 year older non lizard batt would be in far worse shape.
Well that's quite an improvement over the earlier packs.
__________________
Gas and Electric Vehicle Cost of Ownership Calculator







Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 04:18 PM   #26 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason
 
JSH's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: PDX
Posts: 1,938

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)

Dieselgate - '14 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
90 day: 38.24 mpg (US)
Thanks: 128
Thanked 1,110 Times in 755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
Yes, I didn't buy it like I had planned. Were it my decision they would be in a '13+ model (lizard in '14). I've read that the newer batteries also degrade quickly.
If I was shopping for a Leaf it would be 2015 (all had lizard battery) and a SV trim for the 6.6 kW charger and heat pump.

My research shows that 2014 was a transition year for the lizard battery. Do you know how to determine which battery chemistry a 2014 has?
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JSH For This Useful Post:
redpoint5 (03-15-2021)
Old 03-15-2021, 04:57 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Newb
 
redpoint5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 8,827

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 28.24 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Prius Plug-in - '12 Toyota Prius Plug-in
90 day: 57.64 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 27.02 mpg (US)
Thanks: 3,066
Thanked 3,391 Times in 2,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
If I was shopping for a Leaf it would be 2015 (all had lizard battery) and a SV trim for the 6.6 kW charger and heat pump.

My research shows that 2014 was a transition year for the lizard battery. Do you know how to determine which battery chemistry a 2014 has?
At this point I've just about decided against a Leaf and am most focused on a Bolt.

I don't have a method of knowing what battery is in a '14, but assumed I would figure one out if I were ever considering one.

The most comprehensive model comparison resource I know of is here;

https://insideevs.com/news/325877/us...-buying-guide/
__________________
Gas and Electric Vehicle Cost of Ownership Calculator







Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2021, 05:48 PM   #28 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason
 
JSH's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: PDX
Posts: 1,938

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)

Dieselgate - '14 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
90 day: 38.24 mpg (US)
Thanks: 128
Thanked 1,110 Times in 755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redpoint5 View Post
At this point I've just about decided against a Leaf and am most focused on a Bolt.

I don't have a method of knowing what battery is in a '14, but assumed I would figure one out if I were ever considering one.

The most comprehensive model comparison resource I know of is here;

https://insideevs.com/news/325877/us...-buying-guide/

For me it depends on the use of the car. The Leaf is cheaper but shorter range and much less fun. The batteries are suspect but cheap.

The Bolt is better in almost all ways but more expensive. If the battery ever did fail it is $16K. I didn't buy by Spark EV at the end of the lease because the battery was basically unsupported. The Bolt has the volume that it will likely be support but still expensive.

I might be in the market for a car again. My wife has a new job and it is in person and 20 miles away. We will have to decided if it makes sense to buy another car or just have one of us drive the campervan at less than 20 mpg.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 10:39 AM   #29 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed
 
Piotrsko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: 1826 miles WSW of Normal
Posts: 1,755
Thanks: 174
Thanked 487 Times in 416 Posts
I'm under the mistaken impression that GM batteries are modular and based on common design blocks when using the same chemistry so are repairable. I do know in a Volt, everything exchanges physically.
  Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:50 PM   #30 (permalink)
JSH
AKA - Jason
 
JSH's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: PDX
Posts: 1,938

Adventure Seeker - '04 Chevy Astro - Campervan
90 day: 17.3 mpg (US)

Dieselgate - '14 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI
90 day: 38.24 mpg (US)
Thanks: 128
Thanked 1,110 Times in 755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
I'm under the mistaken impression that GM batteries are modular and based on common design blocks when using the same chemistry so are repairable. I do know in a Volt, everything exchanges physically.
The Spark EV changed batteries in 2015 and is a different LG cell than the one used in the Bolt. They are modular and bolt together so a battery could be repaired - if you could find replacement cells or used cells. Certainly possible but with only about 6000 Spark EVs made - split over two different battery packs designs, I doubt you will find much support. A dealer won't crack open a pack to replace cells so you would need a local expert.

From a CleanTechnica article:
  • The Chevrolet Spark EV battery is made with 192 (2p96s) LG Chem cells, each cell is rated at 27 Ah and 3.75 V.
  • the Chevrolet Bolt EV battery is made with 288 (3p96s) LG Chem cells, each cell is rated at 55 Ah and 3.75 V

Picture of a Spark EV battery module:

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com