Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2011, 04:29 AM   #11 (permalink)
The PRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FXSTi View Post
Arragonis,

You mentioned not being able to set the date on the camera

Kirk
Thanks for the info. The format of the file is the key thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
My understanding is that the "miles left" or Gallons to fill" are workng on the avg mpg and the instant mpg.
If you start 'city driving' to find a gas station at 50 miles left (after a 5 hour trip at 57mpg for example) then the new mpg(city driving) of say 25mpg, will erase the 50 miles left almost instantly.

imo, there is a matrix that wieght the instant mileage heavier as you run low on gas.
Agreed - the Gallons to Fill should be based on what it thinks you have used since the last fillup.

Figures for what I mean - this is calculated on ODO miles vs gallons to fill, I recorded the result but not the miles / galls inputs because I am a muppet

27th Sep - 77 MPG
29th Sep - 72 MPG
30th Sep - 69 MPG
1st Oct - 64 MPG
2nd Oct - 58 MPG

It consistently does this. Try it. After 1 day, record your trip ODO and the gallons to fill on the SG2. You don't actually tell it you have filled up (don't press Done), press the red button and go back to gauge. Repeat the next day and the day after etc.

You will be a Basjoos on day 1, and by day 5 back to normal

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-03-2011, 10:15 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The CARDIS - '07 Nissan Versa S HB
Team Nissan
90 day: 30.9 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cd View Post
I have a question for all of you ScanGuage guys : Do you leave the thing plugged in at all times ?
I did when I was using mine (had to switch to an UltraGauge because of my lousy eyesight).

"Coincidentally," I was having a problem with the Cabrio such that if I didn't drive it for three or more days, the battery would wind up dead. Since the poor thing toughed out a flood many years ago, I presumed it was something deteriorating in the electrical system. Never could find anything specific, so I just made it a point to drive it every couple of days or throw it on the trickle charger if I wouldn't be driving it for a while.

"Coincidentally" is in quotes because:

1) When the VW died my brother loaned me his HHR until I could make other arrangements. Of COURSE I moved the SG to that vehicle, and guess what? Its battery was dead after not driving for several days.

2) The UltraGauge manual mentions that constant polling can keep some devices "awake" and using more juice than they should after the key's removed. The UG has a parameter that changes the polling delay for vehicles where that's a problem (the default is to wait six seconds after the ECU shuts down before polling begins).

So my THEORY -- and that's all it is -- is that, on some vehicles, the SG can keep some or all modules active after the ECU shuts off, which can drain the battery relatively quickly.

Barring that, as far as I know the SG uses very little power and you'd be okay leaving it plugged in for a good while. For someone who "barely ever drives their car," unplugging it or trickle charging would probably be necessary even without the supposed polling issue.

I have no experience with the SuperMID but the backlight staying on constantly doesn't seem right. What does the manual say about that? Is there a timeout parameter you can tweak?

At any rate, I'd think the same would apply: If you're not driving for an extended period, either unplugging it or providing a maintenance charge will help save your battery. It would come down to how much current the SuperMID draws while the car's idle.

Anyone else know more about this (or care to correct anything I've said)?

Rick
Old 10-03-2011, 10:56 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
My SG shuts down maybe 30s after engine shut down.
It stays connected all the time. No issues there.

Old 10-03-2011, 05:05 PM   #14 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
UG killed the battery in my brand new 2009 Vibe when I left it "sit "for 6 days.

SGII has "sat" in same 2009 Vibe for 3 weeks un-used without any problems.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:51 AM   #15 (permalink)
The PRC.

Another question, my SG2 shows MAP as a positive number up to 14.17. I don't have a turbo. Is it just converting -ve to +ve ?
Old 10-17-2011, 01:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoBus Driver

EcoBus - '09 VW Multivan SL TDI 103 KW
90 day: 42.1 mpg (US)
Hi there,

At T5-Board / Board I read that a SG2 uses 35 mA of current when 'off'. Someone claimed his battery was flat after two weeks of not using the car. So there may be an issue with SG2 too, but maybe a lesser one.

I will disconnect mine when not using my van for longer than, say, a weekend.

So Long,

Tinduck
Old 10-30-2011, 05:14 AM   #17 (permalink)
The PRC.

I solved my original problem, its about the low volumes being used in the calculation. When you have used 1-2 gallons each .1 the SG reports may be .1 above or below, not sure how it rounds to 1 decimal place. But it can make a 5-15% difference in MPG calculations.

As you use more fuel the .1's become less significant.