Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2020, 02:34 AM   #71 (permalink)
Banned

Thanked 1,605 Times in 1,136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle View Post
the stock and most aftermarket locations for the intake seem to route the piping above the exhaust manifold, around the cylinder head and place the filter near the oem front air scoop

the cowl intake (for this car at least) is shorter, places the filter in a kind of "sealed" compartment from the rest of the engine and supposedly benefits from the high pressure at the cowl area as well

*not my car, but same design*

so you could say the cowl intake benefits more because the most part is away from any heat sources
I am sorry, but I bet the stock intake does better in terms of less pressure drop and lower intake air temperature. Both are easily able to measured - no guesswork necessary!

The standard intake (that looks to pick up air from in front of the radiator) is exactly what you want.

To expand, the aerodynamic pressure in the stagnation zone (ie where air meeting the front of the car is brought to a halt - or near halt) is the highest of anywhere on the car. Typically, directly in front of the radiator is near stagnation pressure. We're not talking huge pressures (ie not like turbocharging!) but we are talking enough to - typically - make up for the pressure drop through the filter.

Also, by far the best at filtering - and still very good at low restriction - are standard paper filters. So I'd never use an aftermarket cone filter unless I didn't care about the health of my engine.

In most cars, optimising the airbox can be done cheaply and fairly painlessly. Seriously, I'd sell the aftermarket intake and filter and optimise the standard intake and box.

See:

Last edited by JulianEdgar; 05-07-2020 at 02:46 AM.. Reason: expanded
The Following User Says Thank You to JulianEdgar For This Useful Post:
livewire516 (03-31-2021)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread