Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Urea injection in combustion chamber for reduced nox

Hi all,

I'm sure some of you have heard of urea injection, such a bluemotion or adblue. The idea being that you spray urea into the exhaust (typically in front of the catalytic converter) and that reduces nox output. But my knowledge is limited.

On my mechanical diesel that is running on vegetable oil, I already have water injection to help with carbon build up (it steam cleans the inside of your combustion chamber) and to cool intake air temps (slight power increase)

My idea being that I could just put some adblue fluid (its cheap) instead of my water. I'm not a total hippy but I do like the idea of reducing emissions if I can easily.

My question to you is will it work? And will the urea injection give me any other problems during combustion, as opposed to just water?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-11-2018, 02:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratgreen View Post
Hi all,

I'm sure some of you have heard of urea injection, such a bluemotion or adblue. The idea being that you spray urea into the exhaust (typically in front of the catalytic converter) and that reduces nox output. But my knowledge is limited.

On my mechanical diesel that is running on vegetable oil, I already have water injection to help with carbon build up (it steam cleans the inside of your combustion chamber) and to cool intake air temps (slight power increase)

My idea being that I could just put some adblue fluid (its cheap) instead of my water. I'm not a total hippy but I do like the idea of reducing emissions if I can easily.

My question to you is will it work? And will the urea injection give me any other problems during combustion, as opposed to just water?
Nitric acid can be corrosive take that out and it would work but it would work best direct injected late in the power stroke providing a small amount of power, cooling and reactants.

Maybe if the amount was very smal you could avoid its coorsive nature since it would be “all used up” before hitting the exhaust valve.

So, Interesting idea but it could erode engine components
Old 07-11-2018, 02:31 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
Nitric acid can be corrosive take that out and it would work but it would work best direct injected late in the power stroke providing a small amount of power, cooling and reactants.

Maybe if the amount was very smal you could avoid its coorsive nature since it would be “all used up” before hitting the exhaust valve.

So, Interesting idea but it could erode engine components
Where would the nitric acid come from ? Chemistry was never my forte
Old 07-11-2018, 03:47 PM   #4 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Regardless of the chemistry

Def itself is also corrosive

https://www.titan-cts.com/resources/faq/

The Following User Says Thank You to rmay635703 For This Useful Post:
ratgreen (07-11-2018)
Reply  Post New Thread