Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2019, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
TESTED: flat decklid spoiler

Build.

I posted in my modding and maintenance thread how I built it. See:
https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...tml#post602472

It's just a cardboard prototype.

Testing method.

When I arrived at El Mirage at about 8:00am, I explored for good ground a bit. The place was fairly deserted. I chose a spot on the lakebed that I'm familiar with from previous years. I set up a brightly colored marker at one point and did a measurement run: I accelerated to 40 mph and when the car stopped I laid down a cone. Using mountain tops in the distance and these two markers I was able to guarantee my course crossed the same ground for each run in order to control for differences in the lay and firmness of the ground.

The procedure was A-B-C-A. I did three "A" runs with just the OEM configuration. Then I did three "B" runs with just the flat deck lid spoiler and three "C" runs with the spoiler + side panels. Finally I did a 4th set of three runs in the OEM configuration in order to control for the increasing temperature during the morning.

For each run I would accelerate to 40 mph & hold it. As I passed the brightly colored marker I would push in the clutch pedal & start tracking distance rolled using a GPS app on my tablet. At the moment that the car stopped I stopped recording data on the GPS. All runs were eastbound.

Results.

A (OEM shape)
0.55 miles
0.59 miles
0.59 miles

B (spoiler without side plates)
0.64 miles
0.61 miles
0.67 miles

C (spoiler with side plates)
0.66 miles
0.61 miles
0.67 miles

A (back to OEM shape)
0.62 miles
0.64 miles
0.61 miles

Averages
A = 0.5766
B = 0.64
C = 0.6466
A = 0.6233
Average of both A = 0.5999
C - A ave = 0.0466

Deltas
C is a 7.23% increase over the average of the As (C is 3.61% over second A)
B is 6.27% over the average of the As (B is 2.61% over second A)

Obviously, The car rolled furthest with the spoiler "box cavity," though the distance with the spoiler alone is a close second. The box cavity produced a gain of about 7.23% and with just the spoiler I saw a gain of 6.27% rolling distance. A more conservative reading of the results would half those gains. So it seems it could produce between a 1.5% or 3.5% fuel economy increase.

Problems

I had problems with the heat and with battery voltage. At one point in the morning testing the voltage meter showed 10 volts. I knew that a problem was developing with the battery and so I had been running the alternator the entire way from home to El Mirage and on all of the testing runs. Something's wrong with the battery, and the battery is not that old. This was an especially difficult problem in the attempted afternoon testing.

During my afternoon testing, the sun on the black car in the heat began to melt some of the duct tape and neodymium magnet mounts.

During the afternoon testing, because I felt myself more in a hurry, I dispensed with using my markers & chose random markers on the ground that I then didn't stick to very well. The afternoon testing was a complete mess. I lost some afternoon data too.

Photos.

Side view of the spoiler with support braces added before testing. The side plates for the box cavity configuration are not pictured.

Image of the dust pattern behind the rear bumper when the car is in its OEM configuration. Notice how the dust is distributed around the top of the bumper cover.

Image of the dust pattern after the runs with the spoiler, without the side plates. Notice the changes in the dust pattern on the bumper cover in particular.

Image of the dust pattern on the bumper cover after the runs with the spoiler in the Box cavity configuration. The dust pattern has changed again.

This picture is of the dust pattern it was revealed immediately upon removing the spoiler after the final run, the set with the spoiler on in the box cavity configuration. The dust has been gathering under the spoiler. The dust did not stick to the spoiler itself.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190721_092655.jpg
Views:	594
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	26469   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190721_122049.jpg
Views:	722
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	26470   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190721_095158.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	26471   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190721_102412.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	26472   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190721_102647.jpg
Views:	599
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	26473  

See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Last edited by California98Civic; 07-23-2019 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: typos
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-01-2020), Gasoline Fumes (07-22-2019), mpg_numbers_guy (07-25-2019)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-23-2019, 01:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

In a bid to get that 70 MPG tank this summer, I just reattached the prototype spoiler for daily driving around town and on the freeway especially.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190723_095637.jpg
Views:	692
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	26485  
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-01-2020), mpg_numbers_guy (07-25-2019), Piotrsko (07-23-2019), RustyLugNut (07-26-2019)
Old 07-23-2019, 02:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
Any advantage to smoothing the horizontal to vertical transition? Or in making the vertical one much wider?

Dont think the SWMABO will allow this

Somehow this feels like a chp attractive
California98Civic (05-23-2020)
Old 07-25-2019, 12:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotrsko View Post
Any advantage to smoothing the horizontal to vertical transition? Or in making the vertical one much wider?

Dont think the SWMABO will allow this

Somehow this feels like a chp attractive
It is rounded in a couple different ways, but there is more that can be done at that trailing edge, and I'm thinking about it. But this is the shape that I tested at El Mirage last weekend and it seemed to work really well. So I don't want to diverge too far from what seemed to work out on the dry lake bed.

I'm a little concerned about attracting police attention too. It's less conspicuous than it looks in such a close up photo. But none the less today I took some remnant paint out of the garage and painted the cardboard black. So here's what it looks like now.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190724_191732.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	26518  

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-01-2020)
Old 07-25-2019, 12:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Just cruisin’ along

Beater Echo - '00 Toyota Echo
90 day: 42.67 mpg (US)

Hondizzle - '97 Honda Civic DX
Team Honda
90 day: 46.55 mpg (US)

Shaggin Waggin - '14 Chrysler Town + Country
90 day: 22.56 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
It is rounded in a couple different ways, but there is more that can be done at that trailing edge, and I'm thinking about it. But this is the shape that I tested at El Mirage last weekend and it seemed to work really well. So I don't want to diverge too far from what seemed to work out on the dry lake bed.

I'm a little concerned about attracting police attention too. It's less conspicuous than it looks in such a close up photo. But none the less today I took some remnant paint out of the garage and painted the cardboard black. So here's what it looks like now.

Be afraid of the Chippies. Anyone who looks like a ricer, or a muscle car guy, is always a suspect. Doubly so with that dumbass new noise law, which many OE cars will violate, officers are in pursuit of revenue for my beloved, gorgeous, perpetually cash-strapped state, and equally the local LEOs for their gorgeous, cash-strapped cities and counties.

It’s the main reason I don’t ecomod. LEOs are there to make traffic stops. It’s harassment which they use as leverage to make probable cause searches for drugs or whatever. So I’d rather fly under the radar, and an old Civic like ours does just that.

'97 Honda Civic DX Coupe 5MT - dead 2/23
'00 Echo - dead 2/17
'14 Chrysler Town + Country - My DD, for now
'67 Mustang Convertible - gone 1/17

Last edited by jcp123; 07-25-2019 at 12:39 AM..
Old 07-25-2019, 05:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Be afraid of the Chippies. ...
Haha! Well, if I do get pinched, it is at most a $25 "fix-it" ticket. No report to DMV or my insurance, either. However, painted black, I think it gets little attention. At 7" it is maybe poking 2 or max 3" further than the rear bumper cover. I am not sure a cop would be able to easily tell. We'll see.

I am glad I painted it, btw. It drizzled a little this morning unexpectedly. Paint kept the water out of the cardboard model.

The Following User Says Thank You to California98Civic For This Useful Post:
aerohead (04-01-2020)
Reply  Post New Thread