Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2022, 09:06 AM   #1 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Reminder Facebook Marketplace Sucks

Something you probably already knew but yes Facebook marketplace sucks.

There was a product I could not locate and certainly not locally found it on Facebook Marketplace under one of the ads that only allow you to pay the seller and ship through marketplace.

Paid through marketplace checkout, Facebook of coarse the next day had a “shipping label printed” notification

Here is where it gets interesting, Facebook items paid directly through them have purchase protection
But on my devices I could not click/ view the tracking number and the button to send the seller a message through marketplace was grayed out.

Sent Facebook support a message and was told that I had to send the seller a message then wait 2 days, I ended up sending him a message directly since I couldn’t send a message through marketplace (which apparently isn’t good enough)

Was able on accident to get the marketplace messenger to work using the web interface switching back and forth to desktop view, just got a message sent through marketplace today after seeing that the thing hasn’t been shipped (according to USPS itself it’s still waiting to be picked up at the sellers)

Facebook still hasn’t correctly fixed the fact that “the normal way” to send a message to the seller is broken on my account for unknown reasons and now it’s been a week since the seller printed the shipping label but not sent for delivery

My guess is I will get my money back in 2-3 days but what a hassle because their app doesn’t behave predictably on all devices let alone through their web interface.

And yeah the seller hasn’t responded to either message sent (first was last week) so guessing this was a flip scam or he sold it already and isn’t talking.

/rantoff

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-09-2022, 01:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Let us hope it wasn't an expensive lesson.

The shining promise when Internet was shiny and new was disintermediation.
Quote:
Disintermediation
Disintermediation is the removal of intermediaries in economics from a supply chain, or "cutting out the middlemen" in connection with a transaction or a series of transactions. Instead of going through traditional distribution channels, which had some type of intermediary, companies may now deal with customers directly, for example via the Internet.Wikipedia
I feel sorrow for the young folk who never experienced Usenet. I remember seeing WWW for the first time, jumping from Germany to Japan with a single click gave the first dopamine hit. The news aggregators were Okay -- Slashdot Digg and Boing Boing. But I never touched social media like Myspace because of profound suspicion. We've all learned about the social degradation since, some the hard way.

Do people who can't quit see no way out?

There is a new forum coming online in February. I will watch to see if it appears in which IP block:
Quote:
https://arstechnica.com › information-technology › 2021 › 04 › pentagon-explains-odd-transfer-of-175-million-ip-addresses-to-obscure-company
IP address mystery — Pentagon explains odd transfer of 175 million IP addresses to obscure company Something weird happened minutes before Trump left—US says it was security research.
If it is in that IP block and accessible by Starlink, that will be an unbreakable chain. If one can trust Starlink as a VPN.

Old 01-13-2022, 12:57 AM   #3 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I hope that works out for you.

I don't like that people can post ads while on vacation mode and can turn on vacation mode while they have ads.

Is there a legitimate reason for that? I just see ads instructing me to e-mail some Gmail address.

How do I exclude ads from 6-12 months ago?

What is their official reason for giving me an error when I try to block a spammer that claims to be a business?

Is there any rhyme or reason for when it does and does not give the Blue Book value?
rmay635703 (01-13-2022)
Old 01-13-2022, 01:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Old 01-13-2022, 10:53 AM   #5 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
Seller started communicating and I have a working tracking number
Claimed he was out for Covid and getting tested

Said he would ship Monday but the USPS claimed it hadn’t been sent still on Wednesday, apparently USPS and Facebook tracking is meh at best

Delivery date is supposedly for the 18th

See if I get what I ordered or a box of cracker jacks instead

I much rather have what I ordered rather than $$$ back, it’s supposedly guaranteed through marketplace

Fingers crossed, haven’t checked what Facebooks claim limit time period is
Old 01-13-2022, 12:25 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Here's hoping, but you should quote Xist. I was responding to Xist's tale of woe. What's a vacation mode?

Old 01-14-2022, 10:59 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
See if I get what I ordered or a box of cracker jacks instead
A friend ordered a pair of hiking boots. Two months later she received two pair of Gucci socks. Good luck my friend...
Old 01-14-2022, 12:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Not Doug

For when you absolutely positively need more crap in your life.

When an ad poster is on vacation mode it says that you cannot message them and there is usually a message saying to use their Gmail address.

Is it a coincidence that a common scam nowadays is to get people's Gmail address, say "I'm going to send you a PIN to prove you're real," and then try to gain access to their account, which sends a PIN?

Or is Gmail just the most popular platform for scamming and being scammed?
Old 01-15-2022, 10:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
Somewhat crazed

Thanked 1,111 Times in 980 Posts
If you have android, you get to use Gmail as the non removable default which still tends to override anything else you install. Much like the olden days and windows browsers, my new phone is so beholden to gaggle that removing gaggle almost bricked it.
Old 01-15-2022, 10:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
Not Doug

I have read that iPhones have a wonderful user interface. Apple doesn't innovate anything, but when they introduce other people's ideas they generally do them better than anyone else.

Except for removing the headphone jack, not including a charger and earbuds, and trying to remove the charging port.

However, Apple integrates itself so much into your other accounts that it is far harder to switch back to Android than it is to go from Android to Apple.

I tried to find a source for that, but just found things saying "Oh my gosh, iPhones are just better."

Thanks, Becky.