Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2016, 11:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
Pizza deliver, need help

Question Hf motor/trans needs replacment

My engine and transmission will eventually need to be replaced. So I am starting my studies.

In short
Purchase site suggestions?
Usdm or jdm?
Top 91 hf eco engine + trans combo?

I am trying to find out some reliable websites to purchase a new engine from. I have seen a few sites listing such as Jdmquality, jdmracemotors, jdmnewyork, jdmflorida, ext I just don't know throwing a grand at one of these cookie cut sites . Yes I understand search reviews, I'm on that but just looking for where ecomodder feels reliable. (No long block listed on rockauto for the crx autozone O'Reilly advanced all want like $1500 but they do offer some 30 mile warranty)

Second there seems to be tons of jdm but relatively little usdm motors. Why (people who know what they are looking at) seem to want jdm so much; there has to be a practical difference that I'm not seeing. Is it jdm are all a used gamble with 30day tail light warranty resulting in the some $800 to replace half the stuff under the hood?

I am new to all this engine speak. Hp, stroke compression and so on. It's quite literally another language to me. My searches keep landing me in Honda Tech with one in dozens posts saying something I can truly understand. I just want the most economical engine transmission obd2 combo I can fit in the 91 crx hf.

BTW Thank the site coders for not making me re-write this when it had me log back in to post.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-27-2016, 10:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

To give you some response to your post. I dont know anything about Honda's. But, iirc, OBDII did not come until 1996. I don't know what part of the country you live in, but if the roads are salted in the winter where you are, then a 25 year old car will be a b**** to work on. It's called RUST and it is a curse on cars and those who work on them. Next, don't waste time and money trying to make that car what it is not. Drive it like it is until it becomes unreliable, then dispose of it. Just air up the tires and enjoy.
Old 04-27-2016, 11:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Pizza deliver, need help

I live in Louisiana, snows about once a decade so no salt. As far as reliable, in my opinion any vehicle will become unreliable when you decide to quite putting money/work/time/effort/maintenance in it. Saying that at a new car with comparable mpg 10k, or I can spend the same keeping my car and replace the whole car of parts new over the years and not have the debt. Besides I don't like the way a new car feels to drive, always worried about some scratched paint or a fender bender.

I do appreciate the opinion however.

I am prepared to personally maintain the vehicle I drive and as I know all parts wear with time all parts will need to be replaced eventually. I'd much rather deal with the problems I have then buy someone else's.

So the question then is how to go about the work I know I will need to do and thus the op questions.
Old 04-28-2016, 08:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The most efficient engine/trans for your Civic variant is the 1988-91 HF engine and trans. Basically, exactly what you have. The trans has the tallest gearing (possible exception: California-spec cars), and the engine has a number of features that help its fuel economy. (It is an 8-valve engine vs. the other 88-91 CRX engines which are 16-valve, it may have low-tension rings, etc.)

The trouble is that they don't make rebuild parts for the thing any more. So if you can find a bona-fide set of HF pistons, rings, and bearings you should hold onto them. (Make sure the bearings are the right size group for your rods, though; there were several different ones and you don't want to mix them!)

You might be able to use a "JDM D15 three-stage VTEC" engine hooked up to your HF transmission. It will require some fabrication and electronics work to get the engine management to work, enabling the three-stage VTEC, but you might actually get better economy out of it than the stock HF if you tune it right.

Failing that, just about any of the D-series engines will bolt up to your HF trans if you use the right flywheel. And they'll all be pretty good on economy if you don't rev them up, which is where the HF trans will help.

-soD

Reply  Post New Thread