Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #41 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Black Fit - '08 Honda Fit Sport
I got the email on your response Frank. I'll be looking for data to prove my point.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-07-2009, 02:37 PM   #42 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Just thought I'd see the response... hah.

Which of these has less drag? Lets assume the first one can ride on one wheel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	half car.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	2681   Click image for larger version

Name:	whole car.JPG
Views:	44
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	2682  
Old 02-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #43 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noeryan View Post
I got the email on your response Frank. I'll be looking for data to prove my point.
Waht?
Old 02-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #44 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noeryan View Post
Just thought I'd see the response... hah.

Which of these has less drag? Lets assume the first one can ride on one wheel
What?
Old 02-07-2009, 08:54 PM   #45 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I had gotten an email with a post that said you posted but didn't find it on the forum. It looked like good information so I thought I'd say something about it even though I couldn't find it. If this doesn't make sense to you sorry I'm probably mistaken.

Oh and on the pictures, someone was saying that a cone shaped nose has no effect on aerodynamics so I cut the car in half... (nerdy joke sorry).
Old 02-07-2009, 10:41 PM   #46 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo

I did make a post, then thought about it, decided it was going off track, then deleted it.

Anyway, off track or not... the jist of what I was talking about is, Hucho's aero book describes several different instances where blunt forebodies have good aero simply due to having sufficient radii on the leading corners to allow attached flow down the sides/top/bottom too I suppose. The case study of the Gen I Rabbit- a remarkably boxy and squared off appearing front end don't you think?- says through optimization of those dinky leading edge radii they achieved Cd within a few percentage points of that of an "optimal front end"- something that looked kinda like a basjoos front end. Other cited instances of good front end aero on blunt front ends are Microbus development and bus and truck development. In none of them was it proposed that a long pointy nose would improve aero.

I was and remain skeptical of the merits of long pointy noses on slow small cars. I kept pretty silent about this one:

And after it was "finished" the whole thing fell off the end of the earth- what's up with that? I suspect it was getting the same- or maybe worse- fe than the stock version. I know I like the stock version better.

I don't know why I'm responding to this... but your one wheeled half-car will have worse aero for sure. Not only does it lack leading edge radii, the fineness ratio is too small.

P.S. Then there is this thing:

I can't find any good evidence to support the notion that it does any good; although I doubt it hurts aero. It looks to me like it just adds cost, weight, complexity, and a goofy look.

Last edited by Frank Lee; 02-08-2009 at 02:36 AM..
Old 02-07-2009, 11:20 PM   #47 (permalink)
TreeShade Modr

GhettoRice - '02 Mazda 626 lx

CherryRide - '02 Ford Windstar SE Sport
Student venture RORMaxx explores wind powered EV sportscar
Students believe wind- and solar-power is enough to make a racecar go
by Zack Newmark
December 17, 2008 9:47 PM
Filed Under: American, Artist Renderings, Concept Car, Design, Supercars, Technology

Wind is not often thought of as a potential energy source for cars, but two ambitious high school students in California are researching the possibilities. RORMaxx founders Rory Handel and Max Bricklin are working out the kinks on an electric vehicle powered mainly by the wind and the sun.

Their Formula AE race car is in its infancy, exhisting only in an early-design phase. The alternative energy racer will be powered by a 285 hp alternating current induction motor, using the latest technologies available in sustainable energy. Lightweight, and ultrathin SolarPly paneling will recharge the cars lithium-phosphate batteries, while extending the car's range by anywhere from 15% to 30%. Once moving, the four air intakes guide airflow into four small turbines. Electric charge generated from these fans will be stored in ultracapacitors for immediate need, something key to quick acceleration.

No doubt Rory Handel's motor racing ambitions have played into the design. The car has been planned with the shape of a Formula 1 vehicle in mind. Built of aluminum, with steel in some places, the Formula AE will have front and rear crash boxes to keep the driver safe. Racing suspension and aluminum monobloc calipers will be included. Forged magnesium racing wheels wrapped in medium-compound tires is meant to counter the added weight of the batteries and electrics.

Once fully designed, RORMaxx is interested in manufacturing body panels from a hemp-based composite fibre, to keep the car as lightweight as carbon fibre, while still maintaining a green image.

The use of hemp may have you second-guessing these students' intentions, however, RORMaxx' founders are anything but hippie-wannabes. Unlike other alternative energy groups, this organization is not quick to criticize the oil industry. They are more complementary, recognizing the part big oil has played in research and development while pointing out that companies will always need to make a profit. They site John D. Rockefeller as their inspiration. Rockefeller founded Standard Oil as a means of ushering in a new era of industry in the United States. His plan was to make money from oil drilling and distribution, but to use that money for more research, according to the group.

Believing that an infinite source of usable energy is more valuable than a limited supply of fossil fuels, research into the Formula AE is meant to demonstrate how capable we are of living with less reliance on oil.
Source: RORMaxx

Notice there is no reported economy #'s anywhere on this project either...

I want one... my collection already includes a solar powered flashlight and an electric bucket.

Last edited by whitewiz; 02-07-2009 at 11:29 PM..
Old 02-07-2009, 11:25 PM   #48 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo

Looks to me like there is far more tinkering going on there than engineering.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #49 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Making the nose longer would move the Re critical forward thus making a thicker boundary layer by the time it reaches the back end (making it easier for the flow to seperate at the back). I didn't really think about that. I'm dead set on lowering the frontal pressure of this thing! I'll have my ears perked while searching the net for any data to post.

Oh, side note: made some ghetto VGs last night (only 5). Looking for a cheap SGII. Any sellers?
Old 02-14-2009, 04:32 PM   #50 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo