Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2011, 11:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Mazdaspeed - '04 mazda Mazdaspeed Miata MAZDASPEED
90 day: 26.91 mpg (US)
Retractable electric assist wheel.

Someone around here has one on an Insight. One question of mine is why use one on a car that already has electric motors? Did he use a smaller more efficient motor?

The concept
--------------------
My idea is to have a completely self contained unit with motor, controller, wheel, suspension, and (possibly) wireless control. Batteries maybe on unit or in vehicle depending on space and weight distribution.

This would only go on a truck or SUV with a 2" receiver hitch. It would be based around a custom made hitch cargo basket. I would mount a motorcycle swingarm and rear wheel/tire/sprocket. The motor would be mounted and attached via chain drive. The wheel would be retractable with an electric scissor jack mounted to a pivoting arm to which the motorcycle shock attaches.

For efficiency, should it be designed to help at lower speeds, or cruising speeds?

another problem I foresee is ' wheel scrub' if I were to turn with the assist wheel down.

The specific application
--------------------------------

What watt and volt motor should be used? The vehicle I would be using this on is an 88 chevy full size pickup with a 350 and auto transmission, weighing in at just under 5000 lbs.

The big motor in my truck is under almost no load at most cruising speeds. It might get 2.73 gears in place of the 3.08 gears in it now.

My work commute is mostly cruising and my school commute is mostly stop and go. It is a mile to get out of my neighborhood which I am sure slows my warm up a lot.

I have a swing arm, wheel, tire, and suspension off an '04 ninja 250; also a cargo rack that can be hacked up and modified; as well as steel, heavy wire some electric scissor jacks.

Thoughts/comments?
----------------------------
What Mpg with what set up can I forecast? EOC is not feasible to me because the auto transmission and it is impossible to steer without power assist steering.
Do you have any design ideas?
Has this been done? I haven't seen it.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
5th, assist, electric, truck