Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2009, 01:50 AM   #21 (permalink)
EcoModder

Smile

Nice idea, this could be a new feature

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-02-2010, 06:46 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The backpack for cars

CARUX is the ultimate solution
Its better than the roof box because the CARUX is mounted behind the car and not like a roof box on the top, it does not create any additional drag and therefore no additional fuel costs.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:55 AM   #23 (permalink)
Quest for a 400 mile tank

Adventure Truck - '07 Toyota Tacoma Double cab V6 TRD 4wd offroad
90 day: 19.26 mpg (US)

Commuter Bicycle - '94 Slingshot mountain bike
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
winkosmosis,no doubt,the boat will cause some interference over the roof.I do believe such a "roof rack" would however offer the minimum loss do to ,as you've mentioned,the narrow profile with very small frontal area,and drag coefficient on the order of Cd0.06.----------- The majority of the hull should see no separated flow for the entire length.------ Should the kayak be mounted on an inverted aerodynamic pylon as bombs and drop-tanks and bellytanks are done,there would be virtually no drag to speak of.No separation anyhow.---------- Some of my neighbors report that they lose "nothing" when they transport canoe and kayak on their roof.Some have actually claimed "gains."--------- I'm polite enough not to challenge their claims,and one day will test for myself,as I have both a canoe and kayak,but they usually ride inside the bed of the truck.
I'm hauling canoes, kayaks and bikes quite often on the top of my tacoma. I don't have any data to prove it but I would say if I'm only hauling a single canoe on top (upside down), I don't see much of a drop in FE. I wouldn't see any gain either though. I haul my kayaks in the vertical orientation (so I can fit 2-3 kayaks on top) and usually see a big drop in FE. My canoe however is probably the most aerodynamic (and light weight) part of the vehicle when on top.

Reply  Post New Thread