Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2009, 03:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
75mpg or bust

Chelsea - '97 Toyota Tercel CE
90 day: 58.36 mpg (US)

Victorinox - '00 Victorinox 241000
90 day: 29.1 mpg (US)
Run your car for free?

That was the idea that originally attracted me to WVO several years ago. Now, in 2009, there is one local biodiesel company started by 3 guys fresh out of college, and demand is sky high. One company even drives up from Arcata CA to collect grease, another comes from Portland. There is not a restaurant in the area that does not have a contract with someone, and if there is, it's a well kept secret. Not that I'm complaining, WVO is still availible, you just have to offer more than the going rate, which is still pretty cheap, or find a private party who likes to deep fry.

So I'm just wondering, what do those of you who burn WVO or make DIY B100 pay for a gallon of sweet brown oil?

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-30-2009, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
The $500 Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5EFE View Post
That was the idea that originally attracted me to WVO several years ago. Now, in 2009, there is one local biodiesel company started by 3 guys fresh out of college, and demand is sky high. One company even drives up from Arcata CA to collect grease, another comes from Portland. There is not a restaurant in the area that does not have a contract with someone, and if there is, it's a well kept secret. Not that I'm complaining, WVO is still availible, you just have to offer more than the going rate, which is still pretty cheap, or find a private party who likes to deep fry.

So I'm just wondering, what do those of you who burn WVO or make DIY B100 pay for a gallon of sweet brown oil?
Wow, some people PAY for it?? I though the first letter in WVO stood for "Waste"? I think perhaps there may be some areas that have a lot of people doing the "biodiesel" thing and therefore all places are accounted for. I would guess that in more rural areas that wouldn't be the case. There isn't a place here in the boonies of Oklahoma that doesn't just throw their WVO in the dumpster. I get mine from the local bowling alley. There is a chinese retaurant in town that could probably supply more oil than I could possibly use, but since I don't even OWN a diesel yet, I don't know what to do with the gallons I have now....
Old 10-30-2009, 05:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpoppv View Post
....There is a chinese retaurant in town that could probably supply more oil than I could possibly use, but since I don't even OWN a diesel yet, I don't know what to do with the gallons I have now....
Buy a second-hand diesel generator.
Convert it to run on the WVO.
Recharge your EV for free?
Old 10-30-2009, 05:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
The $500 Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny1989 View Post
Buy a second-hand diesel generator.
Convert it to run on the WVO.
Recharge your EV for free?
That's the plan!! I am constantly searching for one. Unfortunately, this area is prone to ice storms every year, and generators are in high demand. Unless I want to go new, which I might end up doing....
Old 10-31-2009, 04:32 AM   #5 (permalink)
75mpg or bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by vpoppv View Post
Wow, some people PAY for it??
I know, crazy huh? A few years ago there was a company called Southern Oregon Tallow that all the restaurants paid to take their oil, but they went out of business and restaurants went from paying to dispose of oil to being paid to have their oil disposed of. Yes, biofuels are very popular here, there are 2 B99 stations just outside of S. Oregon's only liberal town, Ashland, and as far as I know, both sell quite a bit. When there was only one, they had a hard time keeping their tank full! It's cool that there is an increase in demand and popularity of WVO, even though it's kind of a bummer that you can't get it free anymore.
Old 10-31-2009, 12:02 PM   #6 (permalink)
The $500 Electric Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5EFE View Post
I know, crazy huh? A few years ago there was a company called Southern Oregon Tallow that all the restaurants paid to take their oil, but they went out of business and restaurants went from paying to dispose of oil to being paid to have their oil disposed of. Yes, biofuels are very popular here, there are 2 B99 stations just outside of S. Oregon's only liberal town, Ashland, and as far as I know, both sell quite a bit. When there was only one, they had a hard time keeping their tank full! It's cool that there is an increase in demand and popularity of WVO, even though it's kind of a bummer that you can't get it free anymore.
It doesn't seem worth the hassle to collect it for free even!! Just how much is the liquid gold going for?? I guess that's eactly what your asking, but for the inconvenience of it all, it would have to be really cheap to be econonomically feasable. Gas to get there and back, etc. I would suggest going further away, but it looks like you already covered that topic, plus again the added expense of gas to get it. How about talking to the companies/individuals directly who already have contracts or whatever and ask them: I can imagine they might have a lead to a place that they gave up on because it wasn't worth it for them, like they didn't have enough oil often enough or something along those lines. That's what I did with my batteries: I couldn't find any good used quality ones and had very informational and constructive help from an individual who I contacted through one of his "will buy your used batteries" ads. Sure they're in it for money, but it's no skin off their nose if you collect the WVO they passed up for some reason or another. I certainly would be turned off by the whole thing if everyone were "under contract"....
Old 11-02-2009, 12:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
75mpg or bust

The going rate for WVO in this area I believe is about $0.50, still pretty cheap but yeah it's a lot of work. B99 retails for around $3-3.25 right now and there is a guy nearby who makes and sells home brewed bio "under the radar" to select people, he gets his oil for free last time I heard, which was a year ago. As for me, my 240D isn't ready to burn oil yet, but when it is, I just plan on offering contracted restaurant owners $1/gallon, I'm sure many of them will take it especially since I'd only be using a few gallons a week and that wouldn't dent their supply.

Reply  Post New Thread