Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2019, 04:43 AM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoWalker

Red Devil - '11 Honda Insight Elegance
Team Honda
90 day: 49.01 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,245 Times in 1,454 Posts
I use the 'roadie loop' every time I store the long stiff hose of our central vacuum system and the garden hoses.

But there's a better way for cords.
My kids Scouting club uses it to loop ropes. It doesn't tangle and leaves a eye to hang it on the wall. I use that for extension cords now:

- First make sure the rope is not overly twisted and knot free
- Take both ends of the rope in your right hand and slide the other around both ropes to half a meter up. Let both ends dangle down.
- Put your right hand over the ropes just above the left. Slide it a meter over the ropes, grab and pull back to the left. The rope forms a double loop.
- Grab the loops with your left hand while not letting go of the rope already there.
- Slide the right hand again, loop, grab, etc.

- When there's about a meter remaining squeeze the loops together round the middle.
- Swing the end (i.e. the middle part of the rope) a couple of times around the squeezed loop, tieing it together.
- Pull the end through the lower eye of the loop and back through the higher eye.
- You can hang the cord by the end of the rope which forms an eye.

Though the rope gets twisted somewhat by rolling it up this way, the effect is mitigated because both ends are twisted the same way. Somehow this never tangles. And it only takes a few seconds to roll a 20 meter rope.

If you are about to use it again you pull out and unwrap the end, then throw the bunch a couple of meters out while holding on to the leads. No tangles.

(as hastily rolled up as I got surprised by a flash rainshower. But not too bad for a 5 second effort?)

For confirmation go to people just like you.
For education go to people unlike yourself.

Last edited by RedDevil; 01-06-2019 at 04:51 AM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-06-2019, 04:51 AM   #12 (permalink)
Corporate imperialist

Sub - '84 Chevy Diesel Suburban C10
SUV
90 day: 19.5 mpg (US)

camaro - '85 Chevy Camaro Z28

Riot - '03 Kia Rio POS
Team Hyundai
90 day: 30.21 mpg (US)

Bug - '01 VW Beetle GLSturbo
90 day: 26.43 mpg (US)

Sub2500 - '86 GMC Suburban C2500
90 day: 11.95 mpg (US)