EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycles / Scooters (https://ecomodder.com/forum/motorcycles-scooters.html)
-   -   Sachs Madass 125 ? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/sachs-madass-125-a-28915.html)

PeterS 05-10-2014 02:00 AM

Sachs Madass 125 ?

I'm looking for a bike to start a build on, a bike somewhat similar to Ironside's Honda on this thread http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...0-a-27945.html.

I can get a CT 110 Honda here but some of them are pretty flogged and rather used. I've been wondering if there was an alternative and came across the Sachs Madass 125. It's pretty similar to the Honda with just a little more power , improved suspension and a disc front brake. I can buy one for about the same money as a Honda CT 110 and at lower mileage.

If anyone has an opinion either way I'd like to hear it ...... especially Ironside.:thumbup:

I don't think I'd get the seat as low as the Ironside Honda but close.

A couple of links.2010 Sachs MadAss 125 First Look - Motorcycle USA

2007 Sachs Madass 125

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL282.../409391411.jpg

http://pic40.picturetrail.com/VOL282.../409391410.jpg

PeterS 05-10-2014 03:45 AM

''Dual disc brakes stop the MadAss 125, a 260mm rotor front and 215mm rotor rear. Low-profile tires (90/90 front, 120/80 rear) adorn the 16-inch cast aluminum wheels. The seat rests at a rather tall 33.7 inches off the ground at the rear arm of the frame. The frame also stores the 1.22-gallon fuel capacity, with claims of 85-110 mpg efficiency from the 209-lb gas-sipping design. ''
2010 Sachs MadAss 125 First Look - Motorcycle USA

is something of a disadvantage but moving it forward would drop it a few inches.

visionary 05-10-2014 05:03 AM

No contest, this beats the C90 hands down
The motor should be ideal and the frame construction looks as though modification will be much simpler. Plus you have decent brakes to start with!
My first thought to get a lower seating position would be a longer swing arm as per Alan Smith on Craig Vetter's website.
I hope you go ahead and look forward to following the thread if you do
Regards
Pete

PeterS 05-10-2014 05:22 AM

The brakes are the main attraction !

jkv357 05-10-2014 08:15 AM

I've seen them around, and thought they looked interesting. After doing some internet research I'm not so sure.

It's not very clear where they are made, but it looks like China. The quality is about the same as most of the Chinese minis - inconsistent at best.

Components, like brakes, look good, but may not function as well as you expect.

I'd look into reliability, and getting parts, before jumping on one.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 05-10-2014 12:10 PM

That's a nice bike, but for an eco-oriented project I'd still rather get some more conventional Cub-like model which could get the seat lowered more easily (considering those more recent ones with all-plastic fairings and underseat storage).

PeterS 05-10-2014 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkv357 (Post 423871)
I've seen them around, and thought they looked interesting. After doing some internet research I'm not so sure.

It's not very clear where they are made, but it looks like China. The quality is about the same as most of the Chinese minis - inconsistent at best.

Components, like brakes, look good, but may not function as well as you expect.

I'd look into reliability, and getting parts, before jumping on one.

I think you have a point, I've just done a bit of looking and there is a gearbox problem that shows up occasionally and the local distributor has gone broke and been taking over by another company.
Parts are available though.
Made in China.
A 4 speed box with a manual clutch which is good.
The CT110 would be easier to get a low seat height with.

I freely admit discs front and rear were the main attraction.

Thinking.

sheepdog 44 05-10-2014 10:00 PM

I looked at some CT90's, and i got concerned about taking it past 55mph with good streamlining. It would be perfect for maximum mpg as a rural commuting vehicle with 55mph speed limits. I could practically pick it up with one arm, and the tires are nice and skinny. But taking a low speed bike past it's limits awakened a self preservation instinct.

As far as new bikes, the SYM Symba is the best candidate. Front disks, telescopic forks, chain drive, swing arm not integrated into transmission. A bit bigger than a Honda Passport. But the other options can be found much cheaper. And do you want to buy a new bike when you dont need any of the stock body panels?

I've looked into a Rebel 250. Which is good cause it's a highway capable machine right out. It has the lowest stock seat height of anything i cold find at 26.6 inches. (i pm'ed Theo, and he said the seat height of their modified Innovas is 20inches., Stock seat height ~30inches). So yeah, losing 6.6inches could be doable. The one thing i don't like is the rear tire. It's so fat, which is bad aerodynamically if you want to streamline. Having the widest width tire at the backis bad for tapering. But what kills me is imagining the rolling resistance of that tire! Also the front tire is 18 inches, which isn't as good if you want to enclose the thing lock to lock.

I really like the Honda Nighthawk 250. Skinny tires, and better smaller diameter tires. No disk brakes in US though. Seat height is 29.7 inches compared to 26.6 of the Rebel.

Compromise compromise!

PeterS 05-11-2014 01:31 AM

SD, the Madass has a few advantages, half decent suspension if soft in front, discs front and rear which I really like. If I build this machine it needs to be freeway capable, not that I intend to use it on the freeway much but that means being able to sit on 100km /60mph and also stop from that speed.

90 km/hr is my normal cruising speed but occasionally I need more.

The seat height is the main problem, moving the seat down and forward would gain maybe 4" /100mm with a FF position but it's still tall.

The CT110 is much better in this concern. Mechanically.... suspension, brakes and manual 4 speed I like the Madass ... but height wise the Honda is better .

It's a bit of a problem!

The Symba 100 looks like a Honda 90 clone .... are there any differences ?
2011 SYM Symba 100

jkv357 05-12-2014 11:07 AM

I would be concerned about spending all of the time and expense to build a custom aero-cycle on a less than decent platform.

There's enough work involved to do the modifications that you wouldn't want to deal with mechanical and reliability issued due to poor design and build quality.

I think that could be a real issue if you start with something that has a questionable reputation.