Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2021, 10:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Eco Rodder

Larger Scan Gauge or Ultra Gauge display

Is it just me? I need readers to be able to read my ScanGauge II which is a pain in the a$$. The Ultra Gauge doesn’t look much better.
Is there any options to export the info to a larger screen?
Or should I just get an OBD2 adaptor and an iPad mini or ???
What have others done?

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 11-18-2021, 11:45 PM   #2 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,388 Times in 3,362 Posts
My Ultragauge screen is fading and barely visible, let alone legible.

I purchased an LG G-max 8" tablet quite a long time ago for $40 with the intent to use as an OBDII reader display. It worked out very well and I had all sorts of gauges for the Prius loaded. Was neat to see exactly what temperature the engine would shut off, for instance.

I still have it, but now that I rarely drive, sold the Prius, and have a company vehicle with free fuel, I never use it. That said, I did just get Grandfather's truck going and am curious to see what I can learn from monitoring various parameters on it. Interested to see what kind of fuel economy I can get once I burn through the remainder of the 5 year old fuel.

My tablet is secured with adhesive velcro. Since the Prius had no gauges in the traditional spot behind the steering wheel, I just placed it there. Most vehicles would be tricky to find a spot to mount a tablet in a spot that doesn't block your view of anything, but also not too far from the windshield.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 11-19-2021, 12:29 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
Round 3 1/2" or 5" displays?

How much is an iPad? reTerminal is $195 list price.

Quote:
Shttps://wiki.seeedstudio.com › reTerminal
reTerminal is powered by a Raspberry Pi Compute Module 4 (CM4) which is a Quad-Core Cortex-A72 CPU running at 1.5GHz and a 5-inch IPS capacitive multi-touch screen with a resolution of 1280 x 720. It has sufficient amount of RAM (4GB) to perform multitasking and also has sufficient amount of eMMC storage (32GB) to install an operating system ...
The CM4 is the heart of it, the rest is packaging. It has the hard buttons such as Scangauge uses.

Old 11-20-2021, 01:46 AM   #4 (permalink)
Eco Rodder

The advantage of an iPad mini or even a plus size smart phone is I can then just purchase the Ultragauge Blue and use Bluetooth. The other screens would need programming, etc, which I wish I could do but I can’t.
I see used 16gb iPad minis for $100 on Craigslist.
Old 11-20-2021, 06:49 AM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I'd love to have a tablet or a PC full of neat instrument readouts since I'm an unrepentant gauge freak and have installed them on every vehicle I've ever owned. (I even put a Stewart Warner mechanical oil temperature gauge in the oil drain hole of an air-cooled lawnmower a few decades ago. BTW, the temps on that air-cooled Yazoo only got to around 200F or so IIRC; cooler than I thought they would be. But I digress...)

Although I've got a Scangauge in my Mazda3 because it gives me four gauges in a tiny space that I found a place for, and a couple of electric gauges that give me the oil pressure and oil temperature that I had to stick way down at the very bottom of the dash, I can't imagine trying to shoehorn a large computer screen somewhere in that small cockpit.

To help me read gauges with small numbers at my advanced age, I bought bifocal sunglasses with 1.5x inserts to enable sharp vision on sunny days. For overcast or nighttime driving and also for computer screens at home, I use a quality 1.5x monocle that works out very well for me since I hate to wear glasses for hours on end and create those big red dents on my substantial nose:

https://www.nearsights.com/
Old 11-20-2021, 09:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
Eco Rodder

I’m kinda the opposite. I have one gauge in my car. One. And it a fuel gauge. That’s why I’d like a bigger screen on a multi gauge.
The gas gauge is on the center console so where a gauge cluster would normally be is wide open area to mount a screen.
Old 11-21-2021, 09:35 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

In your case, I'd fill that empty console space with a computer screen full of gauges. They will reward you with lots of delicious mechanical information about your car as you go about your way! :-)
Old 11-21-2021, 12:18 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,575 Times in 7,061 Posts
How big it the space? Round or rectangular?

Reply  Post New Thread