Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Instrumentation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-24-2011, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Black Beauty - '13 Hyundai Elantra
Monitoring lean burn

Alright, so I got an HX ('96, so OBDII) and I want to get instrumentation, but not sure which way to go. So first, is the following correct?

If I get a scangauge II it will screw up the readings whenever I go into lean burn, but I can program it to tell me when it enters lean burn.

Ultragauge will also be thrown off by lean burn and can't show it via custom gauge but can at least tell by watching when the rear 02 sensor goes to zero volts. Also cheaper.

MPGuino will give accurate readings but is harder to install and can't clear codes. Cheapest.
----------------------------

I am not opposed to a little digging/learning; haven't done any soldering but have tools/help at my disposal. Need ability to clear codes unless I do an exhaust swap.

Given that, what option sounds best? I'm thinking either [Ultragauge + possibly a home rigged lean burn indicator] or [MPGuino + definite home rigged lean burn indicator and either exhaust swap or OBDII scanner*]

*thought these could be had cheaper, but essentially cost as much as an ultragauge so at that point I might as well get an ultraguage too, which would be kind of silly

Last edited by justjohn; 04-24-2011 at 05:00 PM..
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-28-2011, 10:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Creeping up near 100 views and no replies. Hmm.

Well I've done more reading since this and I'm still not completely satisfied with any options I can come up with. It looks like one HX owner on here uses both a scangauge and an MPGuino. I'd really rather not do that unless it's necessary though.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:00 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Well, just got my first check engine light and since I'm not replacing the exhaust in the next 2 days Ultragauge just got promoted to the front of the list.

Maybe mpguino later. Would really like to have accurate lean burn numbers as well.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

no nickname , it's just a car - '04 volkswagen golf tdi
MPGuino is the better choice

look over the list of Parameter IDs PIDs in Ultra gauge and Scangauge to see if
"Air Fuel ratio " is on the list or
"Current lambda "

real scan tools have these PIDs but Scangauge is not a real scan tool and Ultragauge is not a whole lot better although it is the better of the two .

MPGuino will show you real time FE in MPG and Gallons per hour
when your system changes to "lean Burn" you will see your real time FE improve , so even though you do not know actual AFR you can see when the improvement happens and when it stops .

so
MPGuino is your best choice imho
or
make your own instrument cluster using this software with a small notebook or laptop - this software does have an AFR PID

and it does cost less than scangauge, you will need your own laptop or notebook

OBD-2 Scan Tool Browser Virtual Dash Board screen shot

OBD-2 Vehicle Explorer Scan Tool Browser
The Following User Says Thank You to mwebb For This Useful Post:
justjohn (05-01-2011)
Old 05-01-2011, 12:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
If you can get your hands on a SuperMID, they show the injector pulsewidth and it is easy to see the pulsewidth shift as it goes into and out of lean burn. Some people have hooked up a voltmeter to the oxygen sensor and watched for the voltage change as it enters and leaves lean burn. Once you know the voltage for lean and non-lean burn it is easy enough to design an LED output that would come on when the voltage was in the lean burn range. For more info go to gassavers.org and search the forum for "lean burn monitor".

Last edited by basjoos; 05-01-2011 at 12:42 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to basjoos For This Useful Post:
cleanspeed1 (05-01-2011), justjohn (05-01-2011)
Old 05-01-2011, 10:27 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Yes, I know OBDII gauges are pretty much worthless for monitoring fuel economy for my car. However, I need a handy way to clear the check engine light, and according to this guy I will at least be able to detect lean burn:

Quote:
I have recently installed an inexpensive ($60) Ultragauge. I can monitor the front and rear oxygen sensors through the OBD port. Lean burn is easy to detect, the rear sensor goes to zero.
I would like to replace my exhaust with a stock one at which point I wouldn't need the OBDII functions anymore and would be able to go MPGuino. If/when that happens I will probably try to rig up a lean burn indicator as well so I can still track that easily.

Any other tips or suggestions welcome of course.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I'm experimenting tonight to see if I can get a voltmeter to work as a lean burn monitor.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:02 AM   #8 (permalink)
also races Sportbikes!!!

Mo' Mon-nay! - '00 Honda Civic HX
90 day: 52.26 mpg (US)

Carbon Silver - '06 Honda Insight
90 day: 82.2 mpg (US)
I have an HX, and after driving around with a UltraGauge, and MPGuino for a few months now, I think having both is very important as the Ultra can tell you what the engine is doing (lean burn, temperatures, codes, etc); and the MPGuino can tell you perfectly accurate fuel consumption.

If i could only have one, i'd honestly say that i'd go wit the MPGuino. it tell you fuel consumption, AND speed. knowing your "exact" speed, or rather, if you are accelerating slightly, or decelerating slight - is KEY to maintaining a good MPG throttle foot. the MPGuino tells you your MPH to the XXX.XX.

2006 Honda Insight
MIMA, FAS, no passenger sideview mirror, race style drivers mirror, front and rear underbody aero, temporary front air dam
Old 10-12-2012, 04:44 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Berta - '97 BMW 318 tds Compact
90 day: 62.03 mpg (US)

Charlie - '07 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso Exclusive
90 day: 37.58 mpg (US)

Corsa - '05 Opel Corsa C
90 day: 53.22 mpg (US)

Mruczek - '03 Audi A2
90 day: 60.61 mpg (US)
You may go for somethink like this:
(c)koda Felicia - praktyczne porady użytkownika

This is in Polsh so if you have any trouble with google translate it just let me know.

Here is a schematics for this unit (fairy simple)

The operation of this is simple 3 LEDs are signaling Lean, Normal and Rich mode. So I think it suits the need to know when engine is working in lean burn mode best.

Quote:
Gerhard Plattner: "The best attitude is to consider fuel saving a kind of sport. Everybody who has enough money for a strong car, can drive fast and hit the pedal. But saving fuel requires concentration, self-control and cleverness. It's a challenge with the nice effect of saving you money that you can use for other more important things."
Reply  Post New Thread