Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2011, 12:00 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

seat height ergonomics

Most of the time, I enjoy being 6 4". But it must be great to be about 5 2", and able to actually enjoy the crotch rocket stance! I am relatively comfortable on early '80's Honda Silverwings, and I remember a '74 Honda CB450 I used to have; had a very high seat that helped me alot! Can any of you remember other bikes in the 70's, and 80's like these that have higher seats. I'm primarially interested in twins that are 650cc and under for their inherently better mpg.!
It must be true to an extent, a comparison with a cyclist ! (bicycle) They say the best fit is barely touching the pavement w the balls of your feet which translates into a better pedaling fit. I would think for scooters and motorcycles; that the near perfect (stock fit) situation would be both feet flat on the ground, but just barely???????
I've gone on many trips w my only choice being switching from reg. footpeg to passenger every 15 minutes, dreaming of relief!
Thankfully, on my 2nd Silverwing, a previous owner had put highway pegs/bar on it! 3 options! I'd like your input on what consists of the perfect fit. I know if the handlebars aren't right as well, the shoulders get tortured.
Does anybody know of a master list of bikes going back about 30 yrs, that would actually have seat heights listed? Not every body has the $ to do a lot of custom work; and the trial and error of just the short test ride before purchasing doesn't expose what its like 3 solid highway hrs. later!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-25-2011, 10:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
It depends. It's not the answer you want that's the way it is. There is a site called cycle-ergos or something like that where you put in your dimensions and it fits you on the bike you select from a pick list. They don't have all bikes listed but a fair number. Pretty useful. You can also alter the bar positions and seat height. The key here is knowing the seat/bar/peg relationship you like, which most of us don't but can guess kinda close.

As I get older, the more uncomfortable I'm becoming on my Concours. I find the pegs excessively high and with no alternate locations to move around, 500 mile days are getting more and more painful. I also find that as the weather gets warmer the more uncomfortable I am. Must be due to my increasingly sedentary desk-flying job.

I hate to admit it but I'm looking more and more at 250cc+ scooters and cruisers for thier easier on the legs positions. Until now it was lost upon me why cruisers were so popular, the answer was feeble old baby-boomers. One of which I am slowly becoming.
Old 05-25-2011, 11:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Tahoe - '95 Chevrolet Tahoe LT
90 day: 13.22 mpg (US)

SRX - '04 Cadillac SRX AWD

XL - '05 Harley Davidson Sportster XL
90 day: 49.97 mpg (US)

Alero - '02 Oldsmobile Alero GLS

Corvette - '75 Chevrolet Corvette Stingray
Not sure if this helps but it may be something that you overlooked. I have a 2005 Harley Sportster and as you know they have a billion accessories reason i mention it is that they are very comfortable with forward controls for taller people. I have ridden with and without forwards, I am 6' tall and bike fits me nice and it is considered small by many. A new set of bars add risers change the pullback swap the seat and it is a can be very comfortable. The 883cc gets over 65mpg for me beating it around town mixed local riding not being that kind on my fuel consumption out riding for fun. Swap the pulleys with a 1200sporty for the taler gearing many guys trade with the 883's for faster launch.

Many of those claims of 100+mpg can be achieved riding at 40mph. Used Sporties are not the cheapest but they retain value and are always worth something. I am not a biker looking guy and don't wear a leather vest so that cliche is only as true as the people that perpetuate it. 3K will get you a nice bike if you want lower miles up to 5k for a bike my year they cost under 6k barnd new in 05'. If you do look check out 2004-2006 883 models they are much easer riding with rubber mount engines and still carbed so you can lean and tweak it, 2007 they went FI.

Older sporties don't have the rubbermount and have much more vibration but can be had for a few bucks more than the disposable competition.

hope this info gives you another option

1975 Corvette Stingray *active*
1994 Camaro Z28 Convertible 149k *Sold 2013*
1998 Blazer ZR2 189k *Sold 2012*
1995 Tahoe LT 250k *Sold 2011*

Reply  Post New Thread