Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-07-2012, 07:25 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Seattle Sr. seeking mod for Class C RV

Hi, not sure if this is the right forum for me but I am ever hopeful. I am recently retired, with visions of enjoying my golden years using my small (23') class C RV. But with the cost of fuel pushing ever higher, my RV spends most of its time under a tarp. Rather than give up and throw in the towel, I would like spend my free time and brain cells on making cost effective mods to the RV. I am reasonably handy with tools and have kept the vehicle in tiptop running condition, engine, transmission, tires, suspension. If there is anyone out there with some idea or suggestions for mods to increase my mileage, I would really appreciate it. The RV has a Ford 6.8L V10 engine and currently averages 10-11 mpg. While good for an Class C RV, I want to do better. I normally kept the speed to 60 mph to get this kind of mileage. Thanks for giving me a listen.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-07-2012, 08:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
rv - Google Search

Old 04-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #3 (permalink)
Diesel Addict/No Cure

StolenHoopty - '90 Honda Accord EX

HvyDrnkr - '93 Cadillac Seville
If you want to keep the V10 powered rig, there are some engine mods that you can do that are all bolt on. A set of headers and a complete free flow exhaust system is a good start. After that, call dpTuner up for a custom tune for the ECM ( help with the power and mileage ).

Do a search on this site for others with motorhomes and doing mods, there are a couple here that range from a smaller rig to a full size unit.

Me personally, the answer is "go diesel!" The Ford V10 will never be great on the fuel, even though it pulls well.

You can use the Hypermiling Techniques and the Efficiency Mods as a start and get a Scangauge so that you can modify your driving technique for better mpg.

Change everything from engine to rear differential to synthetic lubricant.

A longer term solution is to switch to a diesel C class motorhome; maybe a Sprinter based unit.

Or, if you are feeling frisky, take the V10 out and swap in a common rail Cummins 5.9 or 6.7 out of a Dodge pickup. DeStroked makes a kit for the Ford F Series pickup, so with a couple of changes it should slot in. The Common Rail is a lot quieter than the earlier units, and very tuneable. Plus with 600 plus ft/lbs of torque lower in the powerband, it will not have any problems moving anything along.

But then again, there is that Vanhool or Prevost calling your name!

Big n' Boxy, Never met a Hill it Didn't Like
The Following User Says Thank You to cleanspeed1 For This Useful Post:
MinneMike (04-08-2012)
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
rv mod, v10 6.8l