Go Back   EcoModder Forum > AltModding > Alternative Transportation
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2008, 04:38 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
I think the trouble with stopping as a cycling is this: cars always yield to you when they're not sposed to, so oftentimes when I unclip and stop I am expected to be moving, even though the car has to right of way, so I need to switch modes and get going again, which is troublesome for myself and for the drivers that have to wait.

I guess it might be different for people without clipless, but I find it very annoying to have to unclip and then clip back in while crossing an intersection, *shrug*

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-14-2008, 10:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Cars are inconsistent with bike riders because bike riders are inconsistent. Making bikes follow car rules doesn't work because cars don't treat bikes the same. Take a look at Youtube for cyclists using the bike lane. It's scary.

Cyclists really need their own infrastructure.

I'd love to say that I rode really consistently, but I switch between sidewalks and roads all the time. Generally, I'll ride on sidewalks if the streets are too busy (and therefore unsafe), follow all the street signs, and walk my bike across intersections with traffic lights.
Old 07-14-2008, 12:49 PM   #13 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Team Honda
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
Sidewalks is one thing I think should be enforced...it's so dangerous to ride on the sidewalks (and slow), I don't know how people can do it,
Old 07-14-2008, 12:57 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I don't know. I've been on the street and had passing vehicles give me a solid 2 inches of space when I was passing a parked vehicle. I've never come close to that level of danger on a sidewalk.
Old 07-14-2008, 01:34 PM   #15 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Team Honda
Well, the danger with sidewalks doesn't come until someone hits you as you're crossing a street or walks out in front of you, *shrug*
Old 07-14-2008, 01:59 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The rules I ride by, cars have the right of way on streets, and pedestrians have the right of way on sidewalks.

I'd guess that if someone hits you as you're crossing a street, they wouldn't have seen you regardless whether you were on a street or sidewalk in the preceding seconds. There is plenty of video evidence on youtube to support this.

Also, if you're on a sidewalk and you're a danger to a pedestrian, you're going too damn fast.

I'm not saying this is right for everyone, or everyplace, obviously it's not, but I think there's a balance that can be struck if you pick your paths carefully and ride responsibly.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:07 AM   #17 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

1997 Civic POS - '97 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 33.29 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to ajax_6531 Send a message via Yahoo to ajax_6531
Here in beautiful, sunny Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, there are dedicated bicycle paths and wide bike lanes on the shoulder of the roads (if no dedicated bicycle lane). They put up separate stop signs at every intersection and even have crosswalks for people in the bike lanes (sometimes). They are used heavily, and seem to work much better. On the main drag, the bike lane is about 20 or so feet back from the roadway. No bicyclists in the driving lanes, no cars in the bike lane. It works wonders for everyone.

IYAOYAS
Old 07-29-2008, 02:36 PM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Red Egg - '95 Ford Aspire
90 day: 38.51 mpg (US)

Dodge SRT-4 - '04 Dodge Neon SRT-4 2.4L Turbo
90 day: 26.24 mpg (US)
This just means they will look for cars not stopping at signs that much harder. its all about income.

I've never seen a cop pull over a cyclist other than the ones dealing drugs, or homeless pulling a kiddie trailer full of their junk.
Old 07-29-2008, 03:39 PM   #19 (permalink)
ECO-Evolution

Iron Horse (retired) - '97 Iron horse Intrepid

Ninja - '08 Kawasaki 250R
90 day: 76.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by getnpsi View Post
This just means they will look for cars not stopping at signs that much harder. its all about income.

I've never seen a cop pull over a cyclist other than the ones dealing drugs, or homeless pulling a kiddie trailer full of their junk.
I've been pulled over for blowing a stop sign on my bike.

I'm all for the law change and wish they would do it here. I've have several spots where the lights go off sensors. I've sat there as much as 10 minutes waiting for a car to come to trip the sensor when I could easily have made it across while red. The way the law is suppose to work is the lights and signs are treated just like normal when there is traffic around just because a light is red does not mean you can blow through it regardless of traffic. I do wish there was a way for more education among the rider and non riders alike. There are lots more people picking up bikes that have no idea of any kind of legal requirements or laws that are in place for bike riding.

Reply  Post New Thread