Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2012, 12:31 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Wagon - '93 Honda Accord Accord Ex Wagon
90 day: 25.41 mpg (US)
Shooting for 35 mpg

Hey i am new at this ecomodding stuff i have a 93 honda accord station wagon 4 speed automatic. I am getting 27.5 mpg as it is right now in stock form the only things done to the car are:
-cold air intake
-cat delete
-blocked upper grille

I was getting 320 miles to a full yank of gas with a new o2 sensor witch i need to replace again. I wanna mod it so it looks stock i can't make mods to the outside cause it has a brand new paint job done this past summer. I blocked the grille from the inside and painted black. What things do you recommend i can do to the accord without sacrificing the body work.

Hers some before painted pics

After painted

I may try and use a Hydrogen generator to boost my mpg...

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
GRU
Master EcoModder

silver bullet - '00 Honda Civic
90 day: 34.41 mpg (US)
nice clean car. Do a belly pan and put the Cat back on. Read the 100+ hypermilling tips at the top of the page

Old 04-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRU View Post
nice clean car. Do a belly pan and put the Cat back on. Read the 100+ hypermilling tips at the top of the page
Why do i need to put the cat back on.
Old 04-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Scooter - '06 Honda Civic EX
90 day: 40.55 mpg (US)
I dont know if a cat delete does anything to how a honda engine runs, but I keep cats on my cars because it helps keep the air cleaner. I personally burn lots of fuel in my job (80 gals a day as a truck driver) so I worry about air quality.

Being a wagon owner, I like your car, it is nice looking. Yeah, dont mess the paint job up.

Of course if you have paint left over maybe you could do a Kammback and paint it to match...

I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure .

Old 04-29-2012, 02:42 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc F. View Post
I dont know if a cat delete does anything to how a honda engine runs, but I keep cats on my cars because it helps keep the air cleaner. I personally burn lots of fuel in my job (80 gals a day as a truck driver) so I worry about air quality.

Being a wagon owner, I like your car, it is nice looking. Yeah, dont mess the paint job up.

Of course if you have paint left over maybe you could do a Kammback and paint it to match...
I don't worry much about the air cause i run my car alittle lean and there is no smog inspection done to the car i pay for it getting done without the car. I was thinking of a small Kammback that can be removed, i take this car to shows or it will have to look really really good to keep it on all the time.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
MBZ and MOPARS

Also, the effect of a properly functioning catalytic converter will be negligible to the fuel economy. Why are you having to replace an O2 sensor again? Is there other problems with the engine? O2 sensors should last ~50-100,000 miles and become "lazy" (slow to respond or minimal crosscounts) with age, thereby affecting fuel economy. It they fail completely, they tend to go toward the rich side, also affecting economy. In a way, O2 sensors are alot like spark plugs....they wear out slowly and usually go unnoticed, until a DTC is generated. On cats., if everything is working as it should, your cat. should last indefinitely. Any contamination.....oil, water, solvents, RTV sealants, etc. cycling through the combustion tract can, and will cause problems with both the O2's and the cats. I monitor the O2's and cats. on both my vehicles using a DashHawk. I just got back from a 2000 mile trip and noticed my 2/1 (bank 2, precat.) O2 sensor is lazy, and the vehicle only has 53K on it. It'll get changed next week.

I'd also recommend reinstalling the cat., as suggested above, and also because the powertrain is designed so everything works together to achieve the best performance and economy, and the lowest emissions possible. Newer vehicles are even worse than some of the 90's vehicles, as the computer(s) keep track of everything, and if anything is detected to be out of tolerance, a DTC is generated. On mine almost any DTC will cause the Multi-Displacement System (MDS) to stop functioning, and really kill the economy.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:58 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

I may replace it cause it is not reading right, i disconnected it. Will connect it back this week and check it out the problem started right after i had the oil changed so maybe the guy pulled on one of the wires and disconnected it i get no check engine light but i get no reading from my air/fuel gauge it stays on the rich side. I also forgot to mention i was using an EFIE to lean out the mixture and it worked great(was still in a test stage) so i removed it once the o2 stopped reading. Without the EFIE controling the mixture my spark plugs looked brownish and with it on it was leaning to a lite brown almost getting to white, but not all white just like a little dots.
Old 04-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
GRU
Master EcoModder

silver bullet - '00 Honda Civic
90 day: 34.41 mpg (US)
The reason you should put the cat back on is it doesn't hurt fuel economy unless it's plugged up. o2 sensor problem will hurt your fuel economy if it's not working propertly

Old 04-30-2012, 12:06 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

those are good cars - i've owned a bunch of them.

advance the timing - usually you can loosen the 3 bolts and rotate the distributor towards the firewall as far as it will go.

make sure the thermostat is working correclty.

02 sensor not working right will mess up fuel economy quite a bit.

cats don't really matter on that vintage for mileage, but they make more power without the cats.
Old 04-30-2012, 01:14 AM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmiller100 View Post
those are good cars - i've owned a bunch of them.

advance the timing - usually you can loosen the 3 bolts and rotate the distributor towards the firewall as far as it will go.

make sure the thermostat is working correclty.

02 sensor not working right will mess up fuel economy quite a bit.

cats don't really matter on that vintage for mileage, but they make more power without the cats.
I have to have the dizzy all the way retarded cause it starts to ping a little when going over a hill, it's not the stock distributor it's from a 98 civic the stock accord decided to take a crap and killed one of the sensors. I had the civic dizzy laying around and it worked perfect for the accord, i will have to get a digital timing light to get it just right

As for the o2 sensor not being connected it sure does sacrifice my FE i went from 320 miles to a full tank to 280- 290 miles a tank and i am getting close to 24.4 mpg as of today when i top of the tank to full after running 45 miles since i filled it up on the 27 of April, so the sensor will plug back in by tomorrow or Tuesday

How will i need to set my timing if i am going to install an HHO generator?