Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #11 (permalink)
Easter McoModder

'99 Subaru OLL 2.5L - '99 Subaru Outback Legacy Limited
90 day: 22.57 mpg (US)

Rabbit - '08 VW Rabbit S
90 day: 32.93 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by low&slow View Post
In my evolution as a hypermiler and reduced fuel usage crusader I have tried my best to reduce the number of times I drive my car for short distance trips( 3 miles or less). I do this by combining multiple short trips into strategic groups or using another more efficient means of tranport ( motorcycle , bicycle, walking, ridesharing). In fact in looking at my garage totals I find that I drove my car 6744 total miles ( @28 mpg) in 2011 vs. 8745 miles on my motorcycle (@57 mpg). I also rode my bicycle about 400- 500 miles in 2011.

One of the things I find sometimes while reading posts by other members on their struggles with getting better fuel economy for their cars is that they have a very short commute. Why not walk in some cases or ride a bike ? I understand there are sometimes weather challenges, health issues or the need to trasport job tools in some instances but how often is this really the case? My challenge to all my brother and sister hypermilers is to examine their daily routines and seek opportunities to optimize their fuel usage through the reduction of short trips (driving alone and cargoless ) and replace it with a bike ride or walking. You will get better fuel economy, use less fuel and ( gasp! ) get some healthy exercise.
all the best, L&S
Why so many thank yous for this post? I think I've read this same information 10 to 12 times throughout the forum. I guess now we're commending this sort of thing.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread