Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 04:16 PM   #11 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
Yes, (wink,wink), pedestrians and bicyclists SHOULD wear full-body (Michelin-man style) air-bags!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-31-2013, 05:30 PM   #12 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,625 Times in 1,450 Posts
Many bicyclists actually ignore their own responsibilities with their own safety.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:03 PM   #13 (permalink)
...beats walking...

...to their credit, most motorcyclists wear leather against "pavement rash" and full "brain-bucket" helmets.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Speedy Gonzales - '11 Ford Fiesta SES
If I hit a cyclist, it's because he thinks he owns the road and got in my way...
Too many idiot cyclists out there!

Old 01-31-2013, 07:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Many years ago I was headed back to my shop. On the last road within .5 mile of the shop I noticed a truck following me very close, too close to see the windshield in the rear view mirror of my NX2000. I tapped the brakes as a warning, then when I slowed down to turn left into the parking lot she hit me. My employee went to the hospital. I went back to work. She called her husband who showed up in a couple of minutes. They were rich old time residents (many generations) and they immediately went on the offensive. She claimed I did not put on my trun signal.
I told her and the cop, "I didn't realize the penalty for failure to signal a turn was to get hit by an idiot in a GMC truck!". Beside that she couldn't SEE the signal since she was so close to my rear end, all I could see. in my rear view mirror, was her grille!.
Guess who got the ticket and paid for the damage (her).
I always thought some form of energy absorbing beltline device would dramatically reduce collision damage. Back when the 5 MPH bumpers first came out you could actually bump into another car at low speeds and not do $3k in collision damage.

regards
Mech
Old 01-31-2013, 07:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Tele man View Post
Yes, (wink,wink), pedestrians and bicyclists SHOULD wear full-body (Michelin-man style) air-bags!
Wouldn't be a bad idea for old people to wear "air bag" pants to avoid broken hips.

regards
Mech
Old 01-31-2013, 07:55 PM   #17 (permalink)
...beats walking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Mechanic View Post
Wouldn't be a bad idea for old people to wear "air bag" pants to avoid broken hips.

regards
Mech
Pants, heck, I vote for full-body, air baggies!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
sid
EcoModding Apprentice

grayranger - '10 Ford Ranger XL 2 door supercab
90 day: 31.78 mpg (US)
I consider myself a reasonably serious cyclist (rode 60 miles today), but I say no. I think we have gone overboard with all this safety stuff on cars. The problem isn't unsafe cars, but unsafe drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians. Too many people are oblivious to the world around them. I think we have made the world too safe so that many people now think that nothing bad can happen to them and the rest of the world is protecting them. It is amazing how many cyclists and pedestrians I see who ride or walk into a road without even looking to see if there are any vehicles coming. And we have already had plenty of discussion about distracted drivers.

One thing I have noticed in the local news is that in the majority of accidents that result in death or serious injury, one of the drivers was driving with a suspended license.

Band's latest song/music video "I Sing Along"
Old 02-01-2013, 08:15 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I remember when Ralph Nader was writing "Unsafe at any speed" there was one example where an occupant was killed by a pot metal radio knob. A belt line pressurized bumper, extending completely around the vehicle would mitigate all kinds of low speed impact damage.

When the impact involved a pedestrian or bike the ability to reduce the highest g forces of that impact would reduce injuries and an exterior design like Basjoos' Honda would minimize the damage even further.

2 million people have died in the US in my lifetime in road accidents, many more seriously injured. Last years road deaths were the lowest since 1949, the year before I was born. Road fatalities are close to half of their previous highest levels.

Remember the "sparrow strainer" hood ornaments.

I ride a bike and completely understand the point made in the previous post, but the fact is you will eventually be involved with a stupid vehicle operator. Minimizing the damage both physical and vehicular is not going to make drivers better drivers, but it might make you less of a victim of their stupidity.

I also completely agree with the fact that the more you make the vehicle "smart" the dumber many drivers will become, but that is a different scenario and requires better design, better education, and more serious consequences for irresponsibility.

regards
Mech
Old 02-01-2013, 09:09 AM   #20 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tetanus - '95 Geo Tracker 4WD Base
90 day: 29.43 mpg (US)

300 - '82 Suzuki GS300 L
Last 3: 60.78 mpg (US)

Jeep - '98 Jeep XJ Cherokee Limited
90 day: 12.82 mpg (US)
Airbags outside the vehicle is a terrible idea. You add weight and complication. Airbags in vehicles aren't a primary safety device, why should airbags outside be? It has been proven over and over that if the occupant isn't wearing a seat belt or is in a position other than upright in a seat the airbag causes injury. With a pedestrian or cyclist you can't predict where they will be or where they will go. I think today's vehicles are already doing a fair job at killing 3 birds with one stone... improving aero and reducing weight will help fuel economy, performance and can help with pedestrian safety by the shape of the body and the use of more composite materials having more give than solid steel body of yesteryear's car. I understand not all vehicles aren't using composite.

When I am walking or cycling I follow my personal rule... might gives right...everything is bigger than me so I give them right of way unless they give it to me. I have seen so many people looking at their phone or otherwise distracted just step out in the road as soon as the crosswalk sign changes then almost get hit... I always look and make darn sure the car is stopping before I will cross.

Project Avalon: E bike build
Reply  Post New Thread