Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2013, 02:19 PM   #11 (permalink)
Aero Deshi

MagMetalCivic - '04 Honda Civic Sedan EX
Last 3: 34.25 mpg (US)
Sorry, but that design is freakin stupid, there is really no practicality to it whassoever. I mean how is adding 8 inches of head room to the back of the cargo area going to improve anything? Just lame. Not to mention the keeping the rain out aspect of the thing. Oh well, if he didn't try to design it, he'd maybe never know what a dumb idea it is.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
PSmodder lurker

Would rather own one of these sports hatchbacks...

BMW 5 Gran Turismo

Audi A7
Old 01-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 29.44 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
For some reason many Soldiers in Germany had BMWs and Mercedes. One of our Sergeants had a new sports wagon made by one of those. I laughed at his station wagon.

Then came home and bought a Forester.

Not made by BMW or Mercedes.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:54 PM   #14 (permalink)
Do more with less

OD - '05 Ford Econoline
90 day: 18.64 mpg (US)

Joetta - '86 Volkswagen Jetta Turbo Oil Burner
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 49.71 mpg (US)

Benzilla - '85 Mercedes Benz 300D
90 day: 28.08 mpg (US)
This type of design was used by Nissan in the late 80's It was called the pulsar It had a replaceable top Square back and hatch back.

“Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed; as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe.

The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed.”

Noah Webster, 1787
Old 02-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #15 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
The Impreza isn't a good family car- I've had two friends have to ditch them because they couldn't fit car seats in the back. Now a Legacy/Forester on the other hand... I stuffed a full size upright freezer in the back once.

It has the added bonus of being almost invisible up here in New England.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 02-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #16 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

It WAS implemented long ago, it's called the "hatchback".

Before somebody parrots something "obvious" about the Pinto, Ford made over 2 million Pintos of which twenty seven were recorded by the NHTSA as actually causing a fiery death. This is statistically similar/unremarkable to any other car of that era. According to a study performed for the Rutgers Law Review, intended to study tort cases ( meaning, it was not affiliated with Ford itself and took place in 1991, over a decade after the last Pinto was made) "the car was no more fire-prone than other cars of the time, that its fatality rates were lower than comparably sized imported automobiles, and that the supposed "smoking gun" document that plaintiffs said demonstrated Ford's callousness in designing the Pinto was actually a document based on National Highway Traffic Safety Administration regulations about the value of a human life — rather than a document containing an assessment of Ford's potential tort liability" and additionally "The Pinto's fuel tank location behind the axle was "commonplace at the time in American cars" "

I'm not saying any of this because I care about Pintos, they're just some little econo car made 30+ years ago. What I care about is people forming opinions based on actual reality instead of on popular 'shock' bull*. When we believe the hype, we end up making decisions based on bad data, and that leads us to bad results. THAT is more dangerous than the back seat of a Pinto.

Small cars with cavernous, slanted hatchbacks are inherently awesome for utility with aerodynamics, I'd love to see one built to haul - perhaps when fully electric cars are ready for prime time we'll see one again, no danger of exhaust entering the rear of the cabin!

Last edited by shovel; 02-06-2013 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: meh
Reply  Post New Thread