Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2013, 09:57 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

My other car is NOT an eco car but....

At what point is the fuel cost of a running a car the smallest part of the equation?

My other car in question is now 23 years old, I've owned it about 7 years myself, it has NEVER broken down, despite it being exclusively used for towing. It only required basic servicing (though there is quite a lot of oil to change) Its worth more now than I paid for it 7 years ago! & there is nothing to stop it working reliably for another 20 years.

Compared to my Lupo 3L this thing uses 4-5 x as much fuel for the same journey, but the Lupo won't tow 3.5tons. It does manage 18-28 mpg though depending on how its driven, speed appears to be the biggest factor with this old beast when it come to saving fuel.

I am considering swapping in an M57 BMW 530D engine & gearbox into it, though I'm not convinced it would be a worthwhile conversion.

Is it worth replacing it? is it worth swapping a more eco engine into it?

So what is it?

My HDJ81 Landcruiser 4.2 Turbo Diesel non eco machine

Kermit the Lupo 3L 1.2 Tdi with a current mpg record of 114mpg (imperial) Now sold

G1 JDM Insight I hate the ride but love the quirkiness
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lots of Questions

Motor-Rolla - '01 Toyota Corolla LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 28.3 mpg (US)

Gaia - '99 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 19.78 mpg (US)

Gaia - Round 2 - '99 Toyota 4runner SR5 Highlander
90 day: 17.23 mpg (US)
That's a good looking truck you have, wanna trade?!

I'd say leave it. For two reasons:
1) Because of the old saying 'if it ain't broke...'
2) If it's your heavy duty work truck (towing, etc.), then it is what it is and if speed is your biggest demon, I would imagine while towing, you would be driving slower anyway so you would be fine. You have the Lupo for all other situations.

You could work on some aerodynamic improvements to increase FE. You could do a trailer like BZP: Single Wheel Trailer Boattail.
I'm planning on a roof rack for my 4Runner. Obviously it will be good for cargo, but the plan is to make it to match the aero-template. I think I'm going to use some EMT conduit and bend it to whatever curve/angle the template calls for and then I want to attach a kammback to the end as well. It will increase frontal area, but decrease drag. I might also put the spare tire on the rack, meaning I can clean up the underside of the truck as well with a belly pan. By doing it this way, everything is reversible, if it ever needed to be changed.

Best EM Quotes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
It has been said, that if you peel the duct tape back on Earth's equator, you'll find that the two hemispheres are held together with J B Weld.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9 View Post
subscribed with a soda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohead View Post
If you're burning,and someone throws gasoline on you,there will be a localized cooling effect, but you're still on fire.

Last edited by jeff88; 10-20-2013 at 05:09 PM..
Old 10-20-2013, 03:03 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Ditto, unless you find yourself using it a ton just leave it. The biggest mod is always adjusting the nut behind the wheel anyways.
Old 10-20-2013, 04:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
Replace a diesel Toyota engine? I feel ill, give me a moment, I need to sit down. It's a vehicle you don't use on a regular basis, and you've never had any issues, it's not worth changing. Plus I am totally jealous as we never had those trucks in a diesel over here. Keep it maintained and work on your driving habits, and enjoy not spending any money on it.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
In such vehicle I believe you'd be better off with some 4-pot out of a lorry. What about some Mercedes-Benz engine out of a Vario or an Atego?
Old 10-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptsideways View Post
My other car in question is now 23 years old, I've owned it about 7 years myself, it has NEVER broken down, despite it being exclusively used for towing. It only required basic servicing (though there is quite a lot of oil to change) Its worth more now than I paid for it 7 years ago! & there is nothing to stop it working reliably for another 20 years.
Sounds an awful lot like my '88 Toyota pickup. Yeah, it only averages about 27 mpg, while the Insight does over 70, but the Insight has real problems hauling more than one bale of hay at a time :-)

Hummm... If you consider bales per gallon, I can get 6-8 on the pickup (more with a trailer), so the Toyota gets at least double the bpg of the Insight.

Reply  Post New Thread