EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   A small displacement engine with an Oxygen concentrator when power is needed? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/small-displacement-engine-oxygen-concentrator-when-power-needed-29868.html)

Big time 08-29-2014 01:15 PM

A small displacement engine with an Oxygen concentrator when power is needed?

What about a small displacement engine for economy during stop and go traffic jams.

During uphills, passing or otherwise called to make serious power it would have an electric supercharger passing air thru an Oxygen concentrator
Oxygen concentrator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Oxygen concentrator feeds Oxygen enriched air to the engine allowing more fuel to be burned thus being capable of generating much more power for a given engine size. Even more power than a turbo engine of the same displacement.

It remains to be seen if such high Oxygen concentrations would make the engine any more prone to predetonation although I suspect air temperatures would be more important than Oxygen content.

Daox 08-29-2014 01:19 PM

Interesting idea.

I think a turbocharger would be more efficient than a device using electricity. They effectively do the same thing, but the turbo uses primarily waste energy where as the concentrator does not.

2000mc 08-29-2014 01:47 PM

i think you're going to need a bigger oxygen concentrator.... or compressor and storage tanks. Since about 1999, units capable of supplying up to 10 lpm have been available. Oxygen concentrator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
10 lpm, would be about .35cfm

Joris 08-29-2014 01:55 PM

I read an article today about the 2019 VW Golf 8. They want to use an 1.0 liter 3-cylinder engine with electric turbo. Because at low rpm, the small engine doesn't have enough exhaustgasses to power a conventional turbo. They also want to integrate a flywheel system, variable compression, full wheel covers and 'engine off coasting-technology' (which we all know). They are also thinking about a four-seater XL1, which will be called the XL2.

kafer65 08-29-2014 02:35 PM

Even if you could get enough volume the high oxygen concentration would make the fuel charge burn so much hotter that you may burn through a piston. Think oxy/acetolene torch. Even with NOS (which is used for its enriched oxygen content, NO4 I think) is still buffered somewhat by the Nitrogen. You may be able to stiffle the excess heat by enriching the charge with a bunch of added fuel, but I agree a turbo would be more efficient and it compresses air which is about 3/4 Nitrogen anyway. Smartcar turbos are tiny and used on mopeds for boost.

Cobb 08-29-2014 05:50 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ncentrator.jpg

Most people with problems absorbing oxygen into their blood system uses these machines. Sounds like a compressor running 247, dad was on one.

I think for quick bursts of performance a wet NOS kit is a better choice. I ran the idea by a few mechanics about using a 25 shot or less on my insight and they said not for every day use. :eek:

jeff88 08-30-2014 01:35 AM

You mean something like this:

Burning Pure Oxygen vs. Air

?

oil pan 4 08-30-2014 01:17 PM

I think a wet shot of nitrous would be better.

ecoTex 08-30-2014 02:54 PM

Or you could use an electric traction motor

Toyota Prius - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Cobb 08-30-2014 04:38 PM

Im wondering if the "wet" or fuel added would negate any fuel economy using NOS over forced induction? Is the fuel used during the shot the same used for a turbo application? At least with the NOS you can use a switch to arm it, rpm range or a progressive setup where as the turbo is always on.

Ive toyed around with the idea of a chemical intercooler or methanol water injection or using that in place of the fuel when spraying NOS so you keep your MPG?

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 443164)
I think a wet shot of nitrous would be better.