Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrews View Post
The current consumer for these types of product is cheap.
Which is why they'll buy fake fuel savers, not because they're proven, but because they meet the price metric...

Quote:
And finally, setting up molds isn't cheap.......

on the other hand........
china has no problem cranking out illegal hid plug n play kits all day long......go figure
Research costs are virtually nil. Just buy a few originals and make molds off of them. For HID kits, blame whichever idiot started manufacturing their HID bulbs in China, giving the blueprints to the Chinese partner who then started making (less durable) knockoffs for a fraction of the price.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
For the molding problems, if there is a good market for this, I would think buying a OEM grill and remaking it solid so it is an actual replacement would be the simple way to do it. Would have to paint to match color etc, so 300+ cars with 10 colors each would be a lot of stocking problems if it was done for all cars. I was thinking just a few select cars at first to see if there is interest. I have seen some people here with great fiberglass skills, so I think that would be one of the requirements for the business owner to start the business.

Just a couple quick examples of cars that can use a grill block with no problems would be a 1992-1996 (and 1997-2001) Toyota Camry, and the 1993-1997 Toyota Corolla. Both car models have a fairly small top grill that is also easy to change. If I could buy a grill block for my corolla that looked OEM, I would jump all over it if the price isn't too much. Buyer's view is that it must benefit their wallet for the price paid though.
Old 02-26-2012, 04:37 AM   #13 (permalink)
Mechanical engineer

Siitin - '98 Seat Cordoba Vario
90 day: 58.56 mpg (US)

VW Lupo 3L --> 2L - '00 VolksWagen Lupo 3L
Diesel
90 day: 104.94 mpg (US)

A8 luxury fuel sipper - '97 Audi A8 1.2 TDI 6 speed manual
90 day: 64.64 mpg (US)

Audi A4B6 Avant Niistäjä - '02 Audi A4b6 1.9tdi 96kW 3L
90 day: 54.57 mpg (US)

Tourekki - '04 VW Touareg 2.5TDI R5 6 speed manual
90 day: 32.98 mpg (US)

A2 1.4TDI - '03 Audi A2 1.4 TDI
90 day: 45.68 mpg (US)

A2 1.4 LPG - '02 Audi A2 1.4 (75hp)
90 day: 24.67 mpg (US)
Quote:
Now explain the 'business model" to what you just said.

There's not one.
And the biggest item in your story is a tire.
Already have tire stores. Already have the major tire mfg marketing eco tires.

Staying w/ the hid example: there are about 7 bases to bulbs and there are about 300 different models of cars. So as a manufacter, all I have to do is crank out 7 bases.
But if I'm making grill blocks, I have to crank uot hundreds of molds.
Already have tire stores all over the world and people buy them what if next time they go to change their tires salesperson ask do you want to lower your fuel consumtion with your tires? People only sell those basic shapes and sizes in their shops because they dont know how much fuel you could save by choosing the size and make and model more visely...

Do you want to lower your fuel consumtion with other add on parts which ROI time is under two years? That is the next question.

For professional looking grill blocks you dont need single molds. You can cut them from straight plastic and fabric etc. You do need lots of versions to cover all models but you can start of something and make only those models where you can find first buyer.

First you have to make by hand and next ones can be cnc cutted to shape. When that ziptie plug tool is ready looks will be even more pro.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/vesatiainen/

Vesa Tiainen innovation engineer and automotive enthusiast
Old 02-26-2012, 06:02 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The SCUD - '15 Fiat Scudo L2
Vekke, these look good !

Is there any chance you could make a set for a Volvo V50 ?
I'd think there are quite a few of them around in Scandinavia.

They have 2 different bumpers, one version on 2004-2006 models, then a facelifted bumper from 2007 onwards.

I'm not sure, but the actual grille opening might be the same on both - it looks nearly the same, even though the central part of the bumper sticks out on the facelift (originally, it was flat).

The Following User Says Thank You to euromodder For This Useful Post:
Vekke (02-26-2012)
Old 02-26-2012, 06:05 AM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

92 Camry - '92 Toyota Camry LE
Team Toyota
90 day: 26.81 mpg (US)

97 Corolla - '97 Toyota Corolla DX
Team Toyota
90 day: 30.1 mpg (US)

Red F250 - '95 Ford F250 XLT
90 day: 20.34 mpg (US)

Matrix - '04 Toyota Matrix XR
90 day: 31.86 mpg (US)

White Prius - '06 Toyota Prius Base
90 day: 48.54 mpg (US)
I agree in the video the grill block looks good, however some models of cars it won't work so easy for. Prime example is the mid 90s toyota camry/corollas. I used a black trash bag and a solder rework station to melt and shrink wrap my OEM grill for my corolla. Holding up well so far, and it don't look too bad besides the fact I used a cheap/thin trashbag. Got the idea from my mom making home made soap and shrink wraping it. I really should make a mod thread for my corolla.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:41 AM   #16 (permalink)
Mechanical engineer

Siitin - '98 Seat Cordoba Vario
90 day: 58.56 mpg (US)

VW Lupo 3L --> 2L - '00 VolksWagen Lupo 3L
Diesel
90 day: 104.94 mpg (US)

A8 luxury fuel sipper - '97 Audi A8 1.2 TDI 6 speed manual
90 day: 64.64 mpg (US)

Audi A4B6 Avant Niistäjä - '02 Audi A4b6 1.9tdi 96kW 3L
90 day: 54.57 mpg (US)

Tourekki - '04 VW Touareg 2.5TDI R5 6 speed manual
90 day: 32.98 mpg (US)

A2 1.4TDI - '03 Audi A2 1.4 TDI
90 day: 45.68 mpg (US)

A2 1.4 LPG - '02 Audi A2 1.4 (75hp)
90 day: 24.67 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by euromodder View Post
Vekke, these look good !

Is there any chance you could make a set for a Volvo V50 ?
I'd think there are quite a few of them around in Scandinavia.

They have 2 different bumpers, one version on 2004-2006 models, then a facelifted bumper from 2007 onwards.

I'm not sure, but the actual grille opening might be the same on both - it looks nearly the same, even though the central part of the bumper sticks out on the facelift (originally, it was flat).

Basicly I can make one from picture and then you need to give the max width you want the block to be, but with your car I can test asseble it to some car before sending. Price is 50€ + shipping to and it includes both covers. Depending on the car upper block might come inside the bumber if it is very curvy etc.

On some models you might need to put something behind the cover to get nice and clean finish. You can make it even flush with bumber but takes little bit of more work.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/vesatiainen/

Vesa Tiainen innovation engineer and automotive enthusiast
Old 02-27-2012, 05:53 AM   #17 (permalink)
Permanent Lurker

Dáčenka - '10 Dacia / Renault Logan MCV 1.5 dCi (X90 k9k)
90 day: 47.08 mpg (US)
Quote:
Staying w/ the hid example: there are about 7 bases to bulbs and there are about 300 different models of cars. So as a manufacter, all I have to do is crank out 7 bases.
But if I'm making grill blocks, I have to crank uot hundreds of molds.
I don´t think it need to be that huge number (at least it's not here in Europe) , and, in fact, it has already been done. Polish manufacturer HEKO does grill blocks from smoke-coloured LEXAN (they do wide variety of other lexan stuff too... - see for example http://www.e-heko.com/en/Instrukcja-...u-owiewek.html

They started with few models and they then expanded. Moreover, it seems that some models are to certain limit compatible.
Fabrication isn't IMHO problem. As it has already been mentioned, for simple flat stuff like Vekke does you don't even need a mold, CNC cutter and teplate is enough (I love the flat truck hubcaps and if there's something like that for my car for reasonable price, i would go for it).

Distibution/marketing is IMHO the greatest part of trouble. If you announce it only through webpage or e-bay, it`s not enough. You need to address thousands of people to get tenths interested. Do not focus on target groups (many people here will simply make what they need), focus on masses.

I would say:
  • have great product (like Vekke already does)
  • concentrate on most common two or three models
  • fabricate twenty to fifty samples, print leaflet, wrap them, give them to local tire shops and gas stations, send few samples to some e-shop concerned in car accessory. Tell the staff that they should tell the price, half is their if they sell it.
  • wait some time, than evaluate results.
  • actively advertise through web, have www pages
  • expand places where to sell to "random lookers".
  • Do not expect anything than an evening/weekend bussines (unless you will cover few states), this market segment simply is small.

In worst case you lost time and some money, but you know your odds.

Last edited by seifrob; 03-06-2012 at 03:00 AM..
Old 02-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #18 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Wagon - '06 Ford Focus zxw
90 day: 29.69 mpg (US)
I think aeromodded body panels could be a good business idea but I would only do them for prius and electric car.

Someone could also build aerocap for pick-up truck!

Reply  Post New Thread