Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Newbe with questions

I just learned what Hypermiling is and want to do it successfully. I spend way too much on gas as I my job requires 80% travel.

I had to buy a new car as my other one died. I bought a new 2011 Hyundai Accent with no miles on it. I now drove 200 miles on it. I started the hypermiling yesterday.

Does it take awhile for a new car to show the good gas mileage? I am having to use cruise control on the highways because I tend to fluctuate too much on the gas pedal. The speed limit on the highways here is on average 60 MPH. I have been been going about 55 and coasting to the lights so I don't idle etc.
I don't see dramatic changes, but it is a brand new car. The EPA says this car should get 30 city/40 HWY.....I'd like to get even more.

Any tips and info would be greatly appreciated. I am even more determined to save now that I have a car payment again.
Thanks!

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clare77 View Post
I just learned what Hypermiling is and want to do it successfully. I spend way too much on gas as I my job requires 80% travel.

I had to buy a new car as my other one died. I bought a new 2011 Hyundai Accent with no miles on it. I now drove 200 miles on it. I started the hypermiling yesterday.

Does it take awhile for a new car to show the good gas mileage? I am having to use cruise control on the highways because I tend to fluctuate too much on the gas pedal. The speed limit on the highways here is on average 60 MPH. I have been been going about 55 and coasting to the lights so I don't idle etc.
I don't see dramatic changes, but it is a brand new car. The EPA says this car should get 30 city/40 HWY.....I'd like to get even more.

Any tips and info would be greatly appreciated. I am even more determined to save now that I have a car payment again.
Thanks!
Check your tire pressure and make sure it is at least up to sidewall. Is this a manual transmission? You should see tank to tank changes, if everything is in order and your driving style is good. Have you looked at the above list of hypermiling tips?
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

It's an automatic. I tried to get a manual but there weren't anymore new 2011's left and I got a better deal on a 11 rather than a 12. I needed new because of the amount of miles I will be putting on it.

What is sidewall PSI? I'm a little nervous putting more air in my tires than what is recommended. Will this affect our safety? I have 2 kids.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Black Knight - '94 Toyota Corolla
Team Toyota
90 day: 58.53 mpg (US)
look on the side of the tires and it will say "max " beside the psi rating for your tire. air your tires up to that. yes its safe

and welcome what part of TX you in?
Old 01-03-2012, 01:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks...will check that in the morning to see what the max psi is.

I'm in Fort Worth.
Old 01-03-2012, 01:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Ladogaboy - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
Team Emperor
90 day: 27.64 mpg (US)

E85 EVO - '11 Mitsubishi Lancer EVO GSR
90 day: 21.38 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by clare77 View Post
Thanks...will check that in the morning to see what the max psi is.

I'm in Fort Worth.
That is also the optimum time to pump the tires up to max pressure. From what I've read, you'll see roughly +/- 1 psi change for every 10 degrees of temperature change.