Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2015, 10:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
5 Gears of Fury

Spunky - '90 Honda Civic CX
90 day: 35.56 mpg (US)
Thanks for the tip info. I am no high roller but I always make sure to tip the person that cuts my hair, and the person that delivers my food well. Those two can make your life miserable if they want to haha. I am in the safe $5 range, though delivery here is usually about $30 so the percent isn't that great. But I have yet to get a cold pizza so I will stick with my plan. My crazy friend used to tip like $20 when she was partying, she said you'd be amazed what you could get the guy to go pick up for you at the store and bring back when she was too trashed to go get it herself. I believe her haha.

ME_Andy (05-14-2015)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-15-2015, 08:13 AM   #12 (permalink)
My Goal: 35 MPG All Day

1NZ-FE (Year 1) - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
Last 3: 34.02 mpg (US)

1NZ-FE (Year 2) - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
90 day: 33.32 mpg (US)

1NZ-FE (Year 3) - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
90 day: 35.32 mpg (US)

1NZ-FE (Year 4) - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
90 day: 34 mpg (US)

1NZ-FE (Year 5) - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
90 day: 26.87 mpg (US)

1NZ-FE (Years 6,7,8) - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
90 day: 28.6 mpg (US)

1NZ-FE (Years 9,10,11) - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
90 day: 27.8 mpg (US)

1NZ-FE (Years 12,13,14) - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
90 day: 27.11 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by War_Wagon View Post
Thanks for the tip info. I am no high roller but I always make sure to tip the person that cuts my hair, and the person that delivers my food well. Those two can make your life miserable if they want to haha. I am in the safe $5 range, though delivery here is usually about $30 so the percent isn't that great. But I have yet to get a cold pizza so I will stick with my plan. My crazy friend used to tip like $20 when she was partying, she said you'd be amazed what you could get the guy to go pick up for you at the store and bring back when she was too trashed to go get it herself. I believe her haha.
Yeah $5 tips are good all day. Delivery drivers could give a rats ass about percentage of the bill unless it gets to the point where your order is 3, 4, 5 bags worth of pizza. I've taken deliveries to churches with 12 bags of pizzas (3-4 pizzas per bag) and they NEVER helped and made me choo-choo train ever bag to a certain spot and would never tip, It always drive me bananas. I hated going to churches for that reason, it may hurt some peoples feeling but, ugh.... I swear to you I had a lady at a church tell me "your tip goes to god" and stiffed me on a $400ish order, which the pizzas were given to her for $7 a piece for ordering so many instead of the normal $11 at the time. I could have strangled that woman then and there.

And as for going to the store, we had people to that every so often. You CAN and I HAVE had people ask me to pick up cigs, milk, redbull.... Doesn't mean the driver will agree, it all depends on how much it sounds like your going to tip haha. Usually the receiving people will pay for the goods and give a $8-12 tip so it was almost always worth it for the driver.

We only had 1 rule to all of that, we CANNOT buy the customer any sort of beer/alcohol. I asked why one day and they said it was a "Selling to minors issue" so I suppose it makes since although the same could be said about buying people their can of dip/cigs too but we could still do that.
Old 05-15-2015, 08:29 AM   #13 (permalink)
Rat Racer

Al the Third, year four - '13 Honda Fit Base
Team Honda
90 day: 42.9 mpg (US)
Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,246 Posts
And then there's a guy I used to work with who goes to the baseball games when he can. When he does a beer run he rounds up to the nearest $5 and then adds a $20. On his next run when he gets to the back of the beer buying mob he shouts and waves, then by the time he squeezes through the crowd the tapster has dropped everything and is waiting for him with his beers all set to go.

Tipping well opens all sorts of doors and makes things run smoothly:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog44 View Post
Transmission type Efficiency
Manual neutral engine off.100% @MPG <----- Fun Fact.
Manual 1:1 gear ratio .......98%
CVT belt ............................88%
Automatic .........................86%

Old 05-16-2015, 10:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,622 Times in 1,447 Posts
Delivery drivers in my country usually ride small motorcycles, and there is no such a tip etiquette back here. Anyway, what are you going to do in your new job?
Old 05-18-2015, 01:55 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Vader - '15 Dodge Grand Caravan
90 day: 23.13 mpg (US)

Cmax - '13 Ford Cmax SEL
90 day: 40.92 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomFact314 View Post
Yeah $5 tips are good all day. Delivery drivers could give a rats ass about percentage of the bill unless it gets to the point where your order is 3, 4, 5 bags worth of pizza. I've taken deliveries to churches with 12 bags of pizzas (3-4 pizzas per bag) and they NEVER helped and made me choo-choo train ever bag to a certain spot and would never tip, It always drive me bananas. I hated going to churches for that reason, it may hurt some peoples feeling but, ugh.... I swear to you I had a lady at a church tell me "your tip goes to god" and stiffed me on a $400ish order, which the pizzas were given to her for $7 a piece for ordering so many instead of the normal $11 at the time. I could have strangled that woman then and there.

And as for going to the store, we had people to that every so often. You CAN and I HAVE had people ask me to pick up cigs, milk, redbull.... Doesn't mean the driver will agree, it all depends on how much it sounds like your going to tip haha. Usually the receiving people will pay for the goods and give a $8-12 tip so it was almost always worth it for the driver.

We only had 1 rule to all of that, we CANNOT buy the customer any sort of beer/alcohol. I asked why one day and they said it was a "Selling to minors issue" so I suppose it makes since although the same could be said about buying people their can of dip/cigs too but we could still do that.
Thanks for the great insight/info! Not a surprise to me that a trailer park resident would likely tip better than a rich person. And yeah I woulda been infuriated by that church lady that said your tip goes to God.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:56 PM   #16 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Severus - '02 Ford Ranger XLT Extended Cab
90 day: 31.35 mpg (US)
Haha. I remember back in the day delivering pizza in an 88 Thunderbird with a 302 V8. Only averaged about 16mpg the way I drove that car- I was a maniac. Gas was only $1.20 a gallon tho. Blasting rock music, smoking cigs (gave that up thankfully), and pedal to the metal pizza delivery. My manager pulled me aside one day and told me that I needed to slow down because customers were calling complaining their pizzas were smashed to one side of the box

Our delivery area had one area where runs could literally be 25 miles one way. Yes, runs took nearly an hour. One guy out there would always order on friday during the rush, and he never tipped a cent. Drivers stuck with this guy would lose probably 10-15 dollars for the night. I got stuck one friday on a single out there- only time that night I used my air conditioning. I had that pizza out in the passenger seat with 3 vents pointed directly at the pizza full max a/c. He called and complained- manager gave him a credit for a free pizza next order. At least he didnt enjoy his pizza that night

Long and short of this is, delivery drivers have a tough job- try to give a decent tip. They work for UNDER minimum wage (pizza chains do this now to save money by pointing out drivers get tips), they see very little of the delivery charge (delivery is how pizza joints manage to sell enough pizzas to stay in business- and they make EXTRA off the delivery charge), they go to dangerous areas well into the night, they constantly face danger from idiot drivers, and their cars are absolutely destroyed by the job. These are people struggling to make it essentially converting the monetary value of their car into cash in their wallet one pizza at a time. I will not order a pizza unless I can tip $5.
Old 07-10-2015, 11:09 PM   #17 (permalink)
Not Doug

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.79 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,708 Posts
I was sick last weekend and missed my brother's birthday and Independence Day festivities--spending time with my family. My brother had pizza for his birthday, so Mom told me to get my own pizza, she would pay me back later. I went to order when I saw "Delivery Fee*$2.50" "*Any delivery fee charged is not a tip for the delivery driver. Please reward your driver with a tip for outstanding service." I had planned on trying to prepay a good tip and give the instructions "I am sick. Please leave the pizza at my door, ring the doorbell, and enjoy your night." Instead, I got dressed, drove, and tried to not breathe on anyone or touch anything.

Reply  Post New Thread