Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2013, 01:51 PM   #31 (permalink)
In the slow lane

Civic Type R - '08 Honda Civic
90 day: 38.19 mpg (US)
I've finally got the hang of this on my very sharp clutch. Trick is to make a confident, deep clutch release, then immediately push the clutch back down without waiting for the engine to fire. If I wait too long to see the rev counter start to jump into life, it bumps. If I time it on "feel", it starts like a pro. Very satisfying. Still not always bang on, but I've definitely got the technique now.

That's at an average 45 mph. If I bump from slower, around 30 -35, it seems to need a shallower clutch release to avoid the bump.

I'm also convinced that the starter engine uses a lot of fuel - my economy currently looks better than it's ever been, though I haven't measured it yet.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-17-2013, 03:11 PM   #32 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Atos - '05 Hyundai Atos Prime AT
90 day: 21.33 mpg (US)
Bump start VS Starter Motor

I EOC whenever possible.
I usually bump start in a higher gear with a quick letting out of the clutch, pushing it right back in and then selecting the proper gear.
On my Chevy Metro the clutch must be in for the starter to get power. The clutch contacts are heftier, and easier to change if they go bad than the ignition switch contacts. When starting with the key, I first turn the key, then push in the clutch in. This completes the circuit and starts the starter motor.

Reply  Post New Thread