Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-06-2009, 01:21 PM   #11 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

B2300 - '96 Mazda B2300 SE

Focus - '05 Ford Focus ST

The red car - '00 Honda Insight
Capri Racer, Thanks for the discussion.

Out in the high desert I admit that I did see a higher than normal amount of tire separations. Especially the big rigs. That is where I really learned to avoid those especially during temperature spikes. Also saw an inordinant amount of car fires, it seems there was one fire a week on the 15 someplace! But that's another story.

One thing I look for with used tires is even tread wear. If it looks like it has been driven under-inflated it is a pass. As you know, underinflation increases heat generation very significantly.

By the way, about the study by the private investigator, how many of the 25% of unfit tires had defects that were not visible? Could you please include a link to the study? I'd like to know because there may be something I'm missing in my evaluation.

I respect your concern for the unknowns of used tires. My experience though has been good. As far as risks in life go and considering the primary failure modes of tires, the risk has boiled down to be so small that they are on the minivan that my wife carries our 6 year old and his friends around in.

Maybe tires found in Washington are less of a concern, southern states may well be a different story. I don't have enough experience with used tires there to make a call.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-06-2009, 11:53 PM   #12 (permalink)
Tire Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatr911 View Post

One thing I look for with used tires is even tread wear. If it looks like it has been driven under-inflated it is a pass. As you know, underinflation increases heat generation very significantly.

Hopefully you also know the other signs of underinflation - bead grooving and sidewall cracks.

Quote:

By the way, about the study by the private investigator, how many of the 25% of unfit tires had defects that were not visible? Could you please include a link to the study? I'd like to know because there may be something I'm missing in my evaluation.

I am not sure the study was ever published - except as part of a transcript for a lawsuit. I'll have to get back to you on that!

Quote:

I respect your concern for the unknowns of used tires. My experience though has been good. As far as risks in life go and considering the primary failure modes of tires, the risk has boiled down to be so small that they are on the minivan that my wife carries our 6 year old and his friends around in.

This is kind of what I am alluding to.

The risk may be percentage-wise small, but some of the consequences are pretty severe. It's this fact - and the fact that few people know they are experiencing a tire failure until it does - that keeps me away from used tires.

Quote:

Maybe tires found in Washington are less of a concern, southern states may well be a different story. I don't have enough experience with used tires there to make a call.
Certainly tires used in colder climates would be less prone to heat related failures - and that would apply to the population of used tires for sale in those areas. Unfortunately, loose tires can be transported quite a distance.

Reply  Post New Thread