Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > DIY / How-to
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2016, 07:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
90 day: 120.17 mpg (US)
EP3 Passenger Side Mirror Delete

Ok so I have been waiting to do this for awhile. Really it was trying to source the part for a cheap price without having to buy the whole mirror.

This is going to be an ongoing DIY because I'm in the process of doing it. I'm waiting for the fiberglass to dry right now.

Tools:
8mm Socket(box end or socket your choice)
Heat Gun
Vice(really just convenience)
Hack Saw
Phillips Screw Driver
Flat Head Screw Driver
Fiber Glass Kit
Cheap Paint brush
Bondo
Sand paper
Primer
Paint

Ok anyways I started out with sourcing this piece.

Again get just this piece if you can, this will make it easier then paying $70+ for a mirror you aren't going to use.

Now that you have your piece start by pulling off the inner mirror cover. It is easy to get off just pull on it, and it will come right off.

Now you grab your 8mm wrench and take off the three nuts. You would think the mirror would just come right off now. Nope your wrong you have to disconnect the mirrors electrical which is inside the door panel. It is held on by a bunch of clips and 3 screws. You have to take all this stuff off to get to them.

Once all that is taken off remove the three screws, and then pop off the door panel. There is one zip tie holding the wires to the door snip it, and your mirror is loose.

This is the part I used the heat gun. I warmed up the seal on the back of the mirror to make it come off easier. You will need it to add to the piece you got if yours didn't come with one like mine.

Time to put your piece in the Vice and start hacking.

You can see the place I started and just went straight down to the bottom. Here is the end product.

Depending on which mirror set you get pre-face lift, or face lift you may have a metal insert that attaches to the plastic. The part I sourced was a facelift mirror piece. The mirrors I have being a 2002 is all plastic. So now another piece in the vise and again some hacking.

This is what I got after the hack saw run.

Alright time to fill that hole we made in the plastic. I used this fiber glass kit because it was cheap and had all the stuff to do it(minus a paint brush).

Ok so now onto cutting out your fiber glass I made mine 5 inches by 3.5 inches which was enough to cover the hole and more on all sides. Ok don't judge my fiber glass job. This was my first time so I'm still learning.

I cut out 8 pieces but only did 4 layers of the weave I was going to do 4 on the back as well, but the mounting posts for the metal piece are kind of in the way so I'll probably just throw some two part epoxy back there to make it strong.

I'm now waiting the 2 hour dry time of the epoxy so I can start sanding then bondo to make the contours, and level that thing out. Actually I have been waiting awhile, and my cure time is now up as i'm finishing up the part one of this. Now back to the garage to continue up the project.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-24-2016, 08:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
Ok the Fiberglass has cured, and was quiet surprised how easy this stuff is to use.

I then sanded the fiber glass with 80 grit sand paper to clean it up. the long edges I used scissors to get it closer before sanding.

I then mixed up the bondo. I used what it says on the back to do a 3inch circle half inch high with a 3inch line of hardener. Mixed it up and added it to the piece. I know it doesn't look pretty, but bondo doesn't have to because I'll sand that stuff smooth. I have about a 30 minute cure time before I can sand again. Hoping to get it primed and sprayed tonight.

Old 10-24-2016, 11:39 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
Alright got the first layer or bondo sanded down and added a second layer to fill in the hole more. Again I used 80 grit sand paper to smooth out the bondo.

Ok second batch of bondo dried, and I got it sanded down again with 80 grit, then when to 180 to make the transition between plastic and bondo. Finally I finished it with 320 to make it smooth.

Shot some primer on it and the line is looking really nice on the piece.

Finally which I'm still in the process of doing is shooting the black on it which is a semi gloss. I will be finishing it up once i get a couple coats of this down with a flat black to make it look OEM.

Old 10-25-2016, 12:31 AM   #4 (permalink)
Cyborg ECU

Black and Green - '98 Honda Civic DX Coupe
Team Honda
90 day: 66.42 mpg (US)

Black and Red - '00 Nashbar Custom built eBike
90 day: 3671.43 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,172 Times in 1,469 Posts
Great results. Great writeup, too.
See my car's mod & maintenance thread and my electric bicycle's thread for ongoing projects. I will rebuild Black and Green over decades as parts die, until it becomes a different car of roughly the same shape and color. My minimum fuel economy goal is 55 mpg while averaging posted speed limits. I generally top 60 mpg. See also my Honda manual transmission specs thread.

Old 10-25-2016, 01:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
Quote:
Originally Posted by California98Civic View Post
Great results. Great writeup, too.
Thanks.
I have it done but I'm in bed now and will finish the write up in the morning.
Old 10-25-2016, 11:50 AM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

24 Grom - '24 Honda Grom
Alright got some rest, and time to finish up this write up. Ok so the semi-gloss cured, and I laid down the flat to make it look like the other mirror.

Now because of missing the wire you had with the mirror you need to secure it with at least one nut, before you think it is going to hold itself up, because it won't.

I left the door panel off for attaching the blank because the bottom two nuts are hard to get to with it on. Believe me it will be less of a headache for you just leave it off until you are done.

Now for the finished product shots. I'm liking how it turned out, and if I want to go back to a mirror in the future I can because I still have it.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:08 PM   #7 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Cinco The Miata - '90 Mazda Miata
Team Mazda
Sports Cars
90 day: 36.13 mpg (US)

Oscar Wilde - '02 Honda Metropolitan
Motorcycle
90 day: 94.9 mpg (US)
That came out nice. Great job.