Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2008, 03:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

6th Gen Coupe - '02 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl
90 day: 28.01 mpg (US)

Zombie Accord - '98 Honda Accord EX
90 day: 24.71 mpg (US)

Ol' Red - '96 Ford F-150 XL
90 day: 14.43 mpg (US)
I live in the middle of the mountains. EPA and government regulations are irrelevant. There is no enforcement of these regulations. Our cars do not have to pass emissions tests either.

Hell, our neighbors had a large hole cut out of the side of the mountain which 4 or 5 households used to dump their trash. They covered it back up once it filled up.

I've just been reading that gas prices could likely be as high as $5 - $6 a gallon. If I could save $4 per gallon and store 100 gallons, that would be significant.

If you could store it in a good tank, I would suspect vaporization would be much lower than in a car. Either way, it should easily last the course of a summer...

100 gallons doesn't seem like a whole lot. A 100 gal aquarium isn't that big.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-14-2008, 07:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

100 gallons is two drums and a bit so finding space for storing that volume should be fairly easy.
Doing it safely is the main concern.
Keeping them out of the sun and away from water would be my aims.
Up on a shipping pallet in a shaded shed would be a reasonable start.

Whatever you do , do it safely.
There is little point in doing all this if you era not around to take advantage of it.

Pete.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:01 PM   #13 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Everyone is *****ing about 100 gallons of gas, yet most of you probably have 250-500 gallons of explosive fuel plumbed INTO your house from a bulk tank outside, especially if you live in the country.

Propane, Diesel, etc...

Just like in another thread, everyone overlooks the danger until there is an idea available that might be beneficial... then everyone wants to pick it apart and dismiss it before anyone even gives it a shot.

Exactly why I didn't ask a similar question right after joining this forum.

Only when I was thinking about it, it was closer to 1000 gallons in vapor-sealed bulk containers. AFAIK, there is no EPA regulation that says you can't store gasoline, just as there obviously isn't one that says there is any problem with storing heating oils and diesel fuels, same with propane.

Fuel stabilizer would almost definitely be your best bet, and while you might still see some stale-ness in the fuel, saving ~$4000 from storing ~1000 gallons of fuel might make up for losing a few MPG's.

Old 12-15-2008, 10:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

honda cb125 - '74 Honda CB 125 S1
90 day: 79.71 mpg (US)

green wedge - '81 Commuter Vehicles Inc. Commuti-Car

Blue VX - '93 Honda Civic VX
We have some 5 gallon safety gas cans for storing gas in, they are great as they have tight fitting spill proof spring loaded lids, but really any metal gas can with a tight fitting lid should be fine, put some fuel stabilizer in it and set it out back in a locked shed.
you can also get leaded 100 octane air plane fuel, that has a shelf life of about 3 years, of course it will destroy your catolitic converter but will work well in your lawn mower, older motorcycles and some of the older cars, but you will currently pay over $3 a gallon for it.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:13 PM   #15 (permalink)
EcoModding Newbie

Parachute - '03 Chevrolet Tracker LX
90 day: 28.55 mpg (US)

Peon - '95 Plymouth Neon Highline baby!
90 day: 31.39 mpg (US)

Slocus Wagon - '06 Ford Focus SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonman76 View Post
My chainsaw gas lasts a long time too. But thats just a chainsaw.

I park my Celebrity for winter, with a close to full tank. When I fire it up in the spring, I can definitely tell the difference as it burns through the old gas. It doesnt run as well and the mileage takes quite a hit too.
Yikes! I don't know what kind of saw you have but if you like it, put your old mix gas into your car. Some 2 stroke oil has fuel stabilizer in it for this very reason because the 2nd leading cause of death in saws is old mix, first is straight gas.
I wouldn't run your car on a full tank of old mix but even 25% probably is fine as most cars can pull timing if your getting knock and you don't use full throttle for any amount of time if at all. Your saw can't pull timing and its run WO, combine that with dirty fins on cylinder and big wood, your saw maybe done...

Back to the original question, sealed metal containers are the way to go from what I've read, and start off with the highest octane you can get as it will give you some room for degradation.
Ian

Old 12-15-2008, 08:30 PM   #16 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
Well, even premium (91) here is under $2.30/gallon, so it's still a net savings if you were to buy in bulk and save it. - To the higher octane comment.

Reply  Post New Thread