Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Motorcycles / Scooters
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2011, 07:44 AM   #21 (permalink)
TFS
EcoModding Lurker

Since a motorcycle has wheels, the air pumping in to the body of a streamliner is far more important than ground effects.
Years ago one of the engineers that did the aerodynamics for the Vector HPV (which held the speed record for a few years), presented a paper at an IHPVA conference that showed about 1/3 of their total drag was due to air coming into the fairing and ground disturbance was negligible.
The point was that designing to take account for ground effects is a waste of time. Focus on internal airflow (for full streamliners).

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-10-2011, 07:45 AM   #22 (permalink)
TFS
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHarvey View Post
I was thinking of a two piece full faring that joins by the riders legs, with the rear section of the fairing on rails so it could be slid rearward and expose the entire sides of the rider and be locked in that position for city use.

Then slide it forward for highway use to get the full effect........
Honda R&D made one like that for the Vetter rally. I tried to copy the idea for a 10-speed bicycle. I did wind tunnel testing and I could not get the rear half of the fairing to work. Drag went up. We ended up running a front fairing only.
Old 10-15-2011, 01:04 PM   #23 (permalink)
EcoModding spendthrift

WindedWarrior - '12 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)
[/QUOTE]

Checkout that link for a ground up build of an enclosed recumbent electric assisted bicycle. He pedals to charge the batteries and the electric hubs actually drive the bike. He lays it all out and does a really good job at building it light enough to be worth it. You could probably transfer 90% of his design to your bike build.

"May the wind always be at your back and the sun always upon your face. May the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars."
~ Boston George

Last edited by TXwaterdog; 10-15-2011 at 01:55 PM..
Old 10-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding spendthrift

WindedWarrior - '12 Ford Focus SE
90 day: 33.46 mpg (US)
Talking

Coolest thing I've seen in a while!

[/QUOTE]

"May the wind always be at your back and the sun always upon your face. May the wings of destiny carry you aloft to dance with the stars."
~ Boston George
Old 10-15-2011, 05:59 PM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mica Blue - '05 Scion xA RS 2.0
Team Toyota
90 day: 42.48 mpg (US)

Forest - '15 Nissan Leaf S
Team Nissan
90 day: 156.46 mpg (US)

Number 7 - '15 VW e-Golf SEL
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 155.81 mpg (US)
Thanked 2,950 Times in 1,844 Posts
Here's the test ride video:

http://neilblanchard.blogspot.com/
Old 03-11-2012, 11:43 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

I would be interested in some pics of your attempted tail piece. I'll try to post mine on photobucket. I suspect something like the Oscar Egg Rocket will work if the fit to the rider is right. My front fairings attach to the frame and go from just below the knee to the shoulder. Don't have a wind tunnel, just a steep hill, speedometer, and a ball of yarn.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #27 (permalink)
TFS
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant-53 View Post
I would be interested in some pics of your attempted tail piece. I'll try to post mine on photobucket. I suspect something like the Oscar Egg Rocket will work if the fit to the rider is right. My front fairings attach to the frame and go from just below the knee to the shoulder. Don't have a wind tunnel, just a steep hill, speedometer, and a ball of yarn.
Grant-Our tailpiece didn't get past the wind tunnel stage. We had a GI Joe on a 10-speed model I made from welding rod to scale, and used the fluids lab at Fresno State. The fairings we made were crude, mostly paper, put we got about what we expected out of the front piece. The rear just didn't work. I tried lots of tape and paper combinations to understand it better, but they all just added drag.

You might do just fine with one on a real bike if you get the right fit and separation from the front is minimized.

We just concluded that for a partial fairing, the separation already creates the drag and the tail piece is too far back on the shape to prevent it. Once you get separation, you don't really have a streamliner anymore.

I would still like to see someone make one work! Send pics!

BTW- coast down testing can tell you a lot if you do it right and repeat enough runs.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #28 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Nice design, looks like tron. I want one