Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now
 

Reply  Post New Thread
 
Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2014, 04:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 15,932
Thanks: 24,016
Thanked 7,233 Times in 4,659 Posts
Submarine hulls

Here is a smattering of different submarine hulls.Removal of the constant-velocity sections and joining nose to tail can be interesting.
Again,as with the airships,none of the manufacturers attempts to 'cheat' with the shape.Their speed,duration,and stealth are a function of the streamlined form.


__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aerohead For This Useful Post:
mikeyjd (05-31-2014)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

   
Old 05-31-2014, 04:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
...beats walking...
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: .
Posts: 6,190
Thanks: 179
Thanked 1,525 Times in 1,126 Posts
...proverbial "stretched" raindrop shape(s).
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gone-ot For This Useful Post:
aerohead (05-31-2014)
Old 05-31-2014, 06:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,927
Thanks: 877
Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I remember reading that article. I think the best sub got to 8 MPH. More into human powered aircraft at the time, gossamer Condor (in the smithsonian) Albatross (flew the English channel) and Penguin (which flew the mythical Daedalus-Icarus route). The Penguin was good enough to actually get some altitude and pulse and glide, giving the pilot a chance for a brief rest.

Edit;
I might be wrong on the Penguin, apparently it was solar powered.

Gossamer Condor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Gossamer Albatross - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Gossamer Penguin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

regards
Mech

Last edited by user removed; 05-31-2014 at 06:49 PM..
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to user removed For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-02-2014)
Old 05-31-2014, 10:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
basjoos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 1,088

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
Thanks: 16
Thanked 676 Times in 302 Posts
The main compromise on some of those hulls was to provide a flat surface on top for the double rows of missile launch tubes.

The reason these hull sections look different from the classic WW11 sub hull shape was the WW11 subs were diesel-electric and spent most of their time on the surface with occasional short dives, so their hull was optimized for performance on the surface and also to keep the bow wave from washing over the deck. When subs went nuclear they spent almost all of their cruise time underwater so their hulls could be optimized for underwater performance. When you watch them cruising on the surface, their bow wave rolls over the top of the hull.
__________________
aerocivic.com
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to basjoos For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-02-2014)
Old 06-01-2014, 03:47 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 27,830
Thanks: 7,812
Thanked 8,626 Times in 7,105 Posts
I believe submarines cruise most efficiently with only the conning tower or snorkel above water, similar to SWATH boat hulls.
  Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to freebeard For This Useful Post:
aerohead (06-02-2014)
Old 06-02-2014, 04:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 15,932
Thanks: 24,016
Thanked 7,233 Times in 4,659 Posts
efficiently

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
I believe submarines cruise most efficiently with only the conning tower or snorkel above water, similar to SWATH boat hulls.
I think there's something to what you say.
Csaba Csere of CAR and DRIVER got to 'drive' a Los Angeles-Class Nuclear sub and he did mention that fully-surfaced,there was a sucking action which occurred at the air/water interface.Perhaps this goes away when the hull descends.With the sail/conning tower out of the water,the boat would lose nearly all of the sails hydrodynamic drag.
__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 05:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 5,927
Thanks: 877
Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
The main compromise on some of those hulls was to provide a flat surface on top for the double rows of missile launch tubes.

The reason these hull sections look different from the classic WW11 sub hull shape was the WW11 subs were diesel-electric and spent most of their time on the surface with occasional short dives, so their hull was optimized for performance on the surface and also to keep the bow wave from washing over the deck. When subs went nuclear they spent almost all of their cruise time underwater so their hulls could be optimized for underwater performance. When you watch them cruising on the surface, their bow wave rolls over the top of the hull.
The original "boomers" were attack sub hulls with an additional hull section added for the missiles.

regards
Mech
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:23 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
freebeard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: northwest of normal
Posts: 27,830
Thanks: 7,812
Thanked 8,626 Times in 7,105 Posts
Quote:
he did mention that fully-surfaced,there was a sucking action which occurred at the air/water interface.Perhaps this goes away when the hull descends.
If you see a movie of a nuclear sub runing on the surface, there is a lot of water going over the bow. Like the one where James Bond was handcuffed to the railing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master EcoModder
 
aerohead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Sanger,Texas,U.S.A.
Posts: 15,932
Thanks: 24,016
Thanked 7,233 Times in 4,659 Posts
over the bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
If you see a movie of a nuclear sub runing on the surface, there is a lot of water going over the bow. Like the one where James Bond was handcuffed to the railing.
Oh yeah! The NAVY Dept. sent me some stock footage of their SEAWOLF submarine operations and there was a clip showing this.And this same footage has shown up in a number of movies.
__________________
Photobucket album: http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj622/aerohead2/
  Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 11:18 PM   #10 (permalink)
Not Doug
 
Xist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Show Low, AZ
Posts: 12,191

Chorizo - '00 Honda Civic HX, baby! :D
90 day: 35.35 mpg (US)

Mid-Life Crisis Fighter - '99 Honda Accord LX
90 day: 34.2 mpg (US)

Gramps - '04 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 35.39 mpg (US)

Don't hit me bro - '05 Toyota Camry LE
90 day: 30.49 mpg (US)
Thanks: 7,229
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,711 Posts
I understand they are perfectly steady underwater, but rock heavily on the surface.

  Reply With Quote
Reply  Post New Thread


Thread Tools




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.2
All content copyright EcoModder.com