Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Success Stories
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #11 (permalink)
Definately a Modder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankencar View Post
I don't think the turbocharger would like that much.
Why? Happens every time you shut down the vehicle anyway. If you use good quality synthetic oils and the proper viscosity in the vehicle you really don't have to worry much about oil coking.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...=306799&page=4

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-08-2012, 04:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

GTI TDI - '91 Volkswagen Golf GTI
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 61.23 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh8loop View Post
Why? Happens every time you shut down the vehicle anyway. If you use good quality synthetic oils and the proper viscosity in the vehicle you really don't have to worry much about oil coking.

I'm just thinking that accelerating up to speed and immediately cutting the engine will stop oil flow and air flow of a turbo that has just seen the high EGT of acceleration. Maybe this mod would be a good excuse for a big GTB2056VL or other water-cooled turbo and an additional electric water pump.
Old 04-25-2018, 03:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
I know this is a very old thread, but would squirting water on to the turbo housing provide any benefit for engine shutoff? Or is it primarily the shaft that transfers the heat.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:29 AM   #14 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by teoman View Post
I know this is a very old thread, but would squirting water on to the turbo housing provide any benefit for engine shutoff? Or is it primarily the shaft that transfers the heat.
I think the worry is more about shutting an engine down after being on throttle, so it's still spinning pretty fast, but with no oil pressure to lubricate the shaft. It would wear out the journal bearings faster.

But to answer your question it think it wouldn't do much, as its more about the heat inside on the shaft/seals/bearings getting coked from being stagnant in a still very hot turbo if the engine is shut down, so spraying the housings wouldn't do anything.
Old 08-13-2018, 03:05 PM   #15 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

A3 - '12 Audi A3
I think some newer cars have systems to prevent this. There are aeveral motors still whirring after the engine has been shut off.

Reply  Post New Thread