Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Forum News & Feedback
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 11:10 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Victory (hwy) - '09 Pontiac G5 Base Coupe XFE
90 day: 37.32 mpg (US)

Victory (city) - '09 Pontiac G5 Base Coupe XFE
90 day: 29.93 mpg (US)
Suggestion for fuel logs

I proudly entered my first fuel log of 27+ MPG (all city driving) today. Cruelly, my result was shown in red even though I bested the EPA's rating of 25 MPG for the city. My result was compared against the 30 MPG combined EPA. Searching previous threads led to the discovery that you can enter your own EPA numbers. Armed with this knowledge, I set up my car twice, once with the city EPA and once with the highway EPA rating. Now I'm in the green!

Since my car has a trip odometer/trip fuel usage gauge, it is easy for me to separate city miles and highway miles.

I think a nicer general solution would be the ability to enter the (estimated) percent city and percent highway miles in a fuel log, with the percent above (or below) EPA following from this additional information. Then, everybody can use the same city and highway EPA numbers for their particular make and model and we can compare Granny Smiths to Granny Smiths.

Also, it would be nice if you could mark driving techniques used, DWB, EOC, etc, when entering a fuel log. That way if I see someone with a stock auto similar to mine with significantly higher MPG, I can see why.

I apologize if this suggestion has been brought up (and beat down) before.

HIGHWAY
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-29-2009, 11:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
Red simply indicates your worst tank. Once you fill up a few more times you'll see one bright green (best tank), many a darker green, and one red. Here is my example. My worst tank is above the EPA combined, but its still red since it is my worst tank.

I'd also stick with just putting in the straight EPA rating. With a bit of practice you'll be beating the highway mileage in the city and it won't matter nearly as much. Calculating every tank with X% city X% highway is getting a bit on the complex side. Some of us (me included) don't drive the entire tank of all our cars, so how are we to know the % break downs?
Old 07-29-2009, 11:43 AM   #3 (permalink)
Dartmouth 2010

Vegan Powa! - '91 Honda CRX DX
Team Honda
90 day: 66.52 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to SVOboy Send a message via MSN to SVOboy Send a message via Yahoo to SVOboy
You don't enter either your city or your highway, you enter both and your combined number.

Also, red versus green has nothing to do with the EPA, you get red for your worst tank, green for normal, and light green for your best. You can look at my fuel log to confirm.

Anyway, marking percents for each of the different types of driving is a nice idea, but it won't happen primarily because it's not something everyone can do and we want to keep the methods consistent and simple.

I do like your idea of marking techniques used though, it's something I hope to integrate soon!

EDIT: Tim beat me to the punch
Old 07-29-2009, 02:54 PM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Victory (hwy) - '09 Pontiac G5 Base Coupe XFE
90 day: 37.32 mpg (US)

Victory (city) - '09 Pontiac G5 Base Coupe XFE
90 day: 29.93 mpg (US)
Thanks for clearing up my misunderstandings.

By being "green", I really meant the signature .png did not originally show me above EPA; splitting my car "in two" allowed me to get an above EPA graphic.

I'm not really concerned with the appearance of the graphic, but I want to easily track my improvements as a hypermiler. Indeed, on this new tank I am doing more neutral-coasting versus DFCO and my city MPG so far (two commutes) is above 31. Having "two cars" now allows me to see which techniques work for me without confounding my city data with highway miles.

Thanks again for your quick response.

HIGHWAY
Reply  Post New Thread