Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Forum News & Feedback
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #31 (permalink)
MPG Militia HMV-25E80+A

FrankenJetta D - '90 Volkswagen Jetta GL
Boat tails and more mods
Diesel
TEAM VW AUDI Group
90 day: 64.35 mpg (US)
I figure, if I drive both in the same tank, it still takes the same fuel to fill it, so I don't worry about splitting it up. My commute is neither "city" nor "highway" anyway. I do make a note in the fuel log about where I'm driving, especially if it's a long highway trip.

I, honestly, don't feel the need to have the current system changed. I do keep my original fuel mileage in mind on every fill, as that was the reason I came here.

Quote:
It is always very amusing how our imagination is put to the test when overcoming reality. Redyaris
Boat tail project
How to gently bump start during EOC
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-28-2012, 06:11 PM   #32 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDarwin View Post
I don't use the tracking on this system, I use fuelly. Out of curiosity, if you track on ecomodder, do you record your highway vs. city mileage?

The EPA weights 55 highway/45 city.
I also use Fuelly as my primary fuel usage tracker.

How do you differentiate between highway miles and city miles?
Old 06-29-2012, 07:52 AM   #33 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
I also use Fuelly as my primary fuel usage tracker.

How do you differentiate between highway miles and city miles?
Are you asking how do I input in Fuelly, or how do I decide which I am doing?

On Fuelly there is a slider, at least on the web-app for "add a fuel up".

http://content.screencast.com/users/...06-29_0747.png

I fill it out on my smartphone, so it looks different, but same idea.

The way I decide isn't very technical in nature. I just think about the last tank (usually the last few days - week) and where I went. I consider MOST driving around here about 50% city (average speed ~25mph, lots of stoplights, speed limits around 35mph), highway out to my parents or any time I am touching interstate.

I would love to see an average speed field and some sort of algorithm based on that - although that would be hard with hyper-milers.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #34 (permalink)
MPGuino Supporter

iNXS - '10 Opel Zafira 111 Anniversary

Suzi - '02 Suzuki Swift GL
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDarwin View Post
The way I decide isn't very technical in nature. I just think about the last tank (usually the last few days - week) and where I went. I consider MOST driving around here about 50% city (average speed ~25mph, lots of stoplights, speed limits around 35mph), highway out to my parents or any time I am touching interstate.
Every time I fill up, I take my trip timer value, multiply it by 30 MPH, and then divide that into my corrected trip odometer value (corrected because my speedo pinion factor isn't quite dead-on accurate - about 99.3%).

For the resulting quotient, if it's below 1, then that tankful is completely city driving. If the resulting quotient is above 2, then that tankful is completely highway driving. Values between 1 and 2 are treated as follows: subtract 1, then multiply by 100. That gives me a percentage of highway driving. I cna then easily convert this value into something I can plug into Fuelly.

It may not be completely accurate, but it gives me a good idea.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:27 PM   #35 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,024 Times in 1,304 Posts
I just fill and write the distance travelled, the cars FE reading and the average speed, on the reciept, then reset everything.

My average speed for the last 4k miles is 38 MPH. I usually choose to drive on the older US routes which are mostly 55 MPH with some of the country sections at 60 MPH.

My routes are probably better than most, but you can really get stuck in traffic here if you are not careful. I have seen 1 mile in 1 hour, and 14 miles in 14 hours on a rare occasion, but I know all of the alternate routes and my worst was the 1 mile in one hour.
Now I exit on the frontage road where I can get off when I see the backup. Been driving here since before Interstates existed (at least here).

If I was going to change the way things were done, I would want to know average speeds, but then that would make it very complicated for many drivers.

I don't even look at the top tens very much. I know I will not be there in my car. When I was in the VX a lot of members didn't believe my mileage, but it was what I posted. If I had to enhance the facts, I wouldn't bother posting anything about mileage.

reagrds
Mech
Old 06-29-2012, 07:42 PM   #36 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by t vago View Post
Every time I fill up, I take my trip timer value, multiply it by 30 MPH, and then divide that into my corrected trip odometer value (corrected because my speedo pinion factor isn't quite dead-on accurate - about 99.3%).

For the resulting quotient, if it's below 1, then that tankful is completely city driving. If the resulting quotient is above 2, then that tankful is completely highway driving. Values between 1 and 2 are treated as follows: subtract 1, then multiply by 100. That gives me a percentage of highway driving. I cna then easily convert this value into something I can plug into Fuelly.

It may not be completely accurate, but it gives me a good idea.
So basically

<30mph average = 100% city
30-60mph average = weighted (45 = 50/50)
>60mph = 100% highway

Interesting. I should get a scangauge and see what my numbers are using your system. I'd guess closer 80% city than the ~50% I have right now.

(The Appliance (Saturn SL2) | Fuelly)

I wonder if an MPGuino could be programmed with an algorithm to take into account multiple variables and generate a highway/city number for each tank. Say, average speed, # of stops spent idling > 30 seconds, amount of time spent coasting < 35mph, etc.

It would be an interesting experiment.

<--- data junky.
Old 06-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #37 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

White Whale - '07 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Quad Cab 2wd, short bed
Team Cummins
90 day: 37.68 mpg (US)
Using average speed is problematic. 50% 20 mph and 50% 60 mph is quite different from someone who goes 40 mph 100% of the time. Also, idle time (0 mph) signifiacntly affects average speed numbers.

My version of energy storage is called "momentum".
My version of regenerative braking is called "bump starting".

1 Year Avg (Every Mile Traveled) = 47.8 mpg

BEST TANK: 2,009.6 mi on 35 gal (57.42 mpg): http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...5-a-26259.html

Reply  Post New Thread