EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Synthetic Oil save more gas? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/synthetic-oil-save-more-gas-4192.html)

xbUser 07-30-2008 05:23 PM

Synthetic Oil save more gas?

If it saves more gas, what is the best brand name? I've heard Royal Purple or Amsoil... If you use synthetic oil, what filter are you using? I doubt regular Fram filter can last 10K without clog.

Crono 07-30-2008 05:26 PM

I know K&N also makes oil filters. Not sure how much better they are for mileage, but I've heard they do something with the way oil flows back into the engine to give you better starts for bettter engine life. (Which, ultimately would make better gas mileage at a certain point, I suppose? At least it's more efficient in a sense anyway)

SVOboy 07-30-2008 05:49 PM

Eh, I'm not too sold on superb effects from synthetic or filters. I can see lighter oil weights, but it would take a lot of lab testing to sell me on synthetics.

atomicradish 07-30-2008 05:51 PM

My car has always burned oil, so I don't bother with expensive synthetic oil anymore. I used to use Valvoline MaxLife Synthetic Blend and I think I got slightly better MPG results but it could be entirely anecdotal.

xbUser 07-30-2008 06:54 PM

That's why I post this thread again. I did a lot of reading in several forums. People say synthetic oil should save some gas because it lubricates better. However, nobody says he got FE increase like 1 mpg or 2 mpg. If the claim for 2% is correct, cars get 40+mpg must see the increase in FE (0.8mpg) Even it is not exact 2% increase, maybe we can find 0.5mpg increase consistently. Anyone can see the different after using synthetic oil?

Arminius 07-30-2008 06:58 PM

Consumer Reports found no measurable difference in FE or the amont of particulates in the used oil.

tasdrouille 07-30-2008 07:55 PM

I don't think it makes much difference on FE, but the extended drain intervals are worth it for me.

ankit 07-30-2008 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tasdrouille (Post 49343)
I don't think it makes much difference on FE, but the extended drain intervals are worth it for me.

+ using less oil (better for environment) and might end up costing less in terms of your money plus what your time is worth on changing the oil twice instead of once.

Synthetic doesn't really cost too much more ($5-6) for the oil upgrade plus ($1-3) for the filter upgrade and you only have to get messy once every 7500-10000 miles

klrv6 07-30-2008 09:03 PM

I run synthetic in everything I drive. Synthetics like Mobil1 EP and the like also save wear on your engine. Real synthetics don't push or squeeze out of bearings like conventional oils do. So, say you lean your engine out a little to pick up a few more mpgs and there is a little more detonation than normal. Under certain loads this would equate to a spun rod bearing and no less than having to turn the crank and put new bearings in. Synthetic buys a little bit more cushion for your bearings.

I upgraded some of the internal engine parts in my buick grand national. I yanked the engine and opened it up to find zero carbon buildup anywhere the parts just wiped clean and had near zero wear after 80K miles of spirited turbo driving. Even if I don't see a mpg gain, I'm running it to protect the engine.

mhmitszach 07-31-2008 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankit (Post 49365)
+ using less oil (better for environment) and might end up costing less in terms of your money plus what your time is worth on changing the oil twice instead of once.

Synthetic doesn't really cost too much more ($5-6) for the oil upgrade plus ($1-3) for the filter upgrade and you only have to get messy once every 7500-10000 miles

Do you have some sort of references on oil change interval with synthetic? I guess it would depend on filter too?