Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Off-Topic > The Lounge
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2017, 11:35 AM   #11 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
The thing about vehicles over 10 years old, here in the UK, is that unless they have been cherished they are invariably rusted out and ready for the knackers yard.
Salt mist and high humidity are really a PITA, but it shouldn't become an excuse to neglect the maintenance of a vehicle.

Quote:
The bulk of the vehicles they try to get off the London streets are old tradesman's vans and trucks, many of which are so clapped out they don't have much of a scrap value. These are the type of vehicles that, when they require money spent on them, are deemed not to warrant it, and just get scrapped.
Work vehicles may naturally undergo heavier operating conditions, but the cost of replacing them earlier could become a problem for their owners. If a van is just "ugly" but still retains its functionality and safety, the 10-year deadline seems quite unfair.

Quote:
I saw one this morning, one headlight and one number plate lamp! No other lighting. If they won't spend a few pounds on bulbs, they are not going to convert to an alternative fuel!
I'm not sure about the UK, but here in Brazil at least in Rio de Janeiro state there are fiscal incentives to CNG conversions. IIRC in Bolivia the CNG conversions are fully subsidized, which is aimed to offset the impact of imported fuels costs. Anyway, since CNG-powered vehicles usually undergo a stricter inspections routine here in Brazil, they're eventually less likely to become so poorly-mantained.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 09-25-2017, 02:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
It is not a case of neglecting the maintenance. Eventually the vehicle gets to the point that it is no longer safe, because of rust. You take the vehicle for its MOT and they give you an advisory for rust. You know that the following year it is for the scrap yard, so any maintenance you do in the next 12 months is not going to be long term. £100 would be better spent towards a newer vehicle. That was the way my Volvo went.

This car was very well maintained, but eventually it became no longer viable. This was the last photo taken before I parted with it.
It is the same with tradesmen's vehicles. Once the cost of repairing them to make them safe reaches a point, there is no point in spending more money on them. Because of rust, old vehicles are fairly cheap to buy used, especially vans and trucks. Only big companies buy new and they move them on after 3 or 4 years.
There are no grants to convert to CNG. Conversion costs for new vehicles average £1,200 - £1,500 for a 4 cylinder engine, and rise to £2,000+ for V8s, V10s and V12s. Not too bad if you are converting a brand new vehicle (done on the finance package), but prohibitive for a 10+ year old motor.

Old 09-25-2017, 02:47 PM   #13 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JockoT View Post
That was the way my Volvo went.

This car was very well maintained, but eventually it became no longer viable. This was the last photo taken before I parted with it.
I see some rust in this picture, but at least what appears in the pictures would be easily repaired here in Brazil.

Quote:
Once the cost of repairing them to make them safe reaches a point, there is no point in spending more money on them.
Sanding over the rust spots, filling the gaps with epoxy resin and painting over it is not so expensive at all, at least for some superficial rust.
Old 09-25-2017, 02:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

All That Jazz - '06 Honda Jazz i-DSI S
Team Honda
90 day: 48.72 mpg (US)
What you see is only superficial. It is the state of the structure underneath that determines whether it is safe and whether it will pass an MOT. And unless you have the skills and equipment to do it yourself (which I don't), then welding is a very expensive service to pay for. Vehicle welders charge their weight in gold, and nothing else will pass the test. If the only rust was what you see then the car would still be going strong. Nothing you see there would fail an MOT. It was the rot underneath that was the problem. Our roads are heavily salted in the winter. It is like driving through sea water for four months of the year.

Old 09-25-2017, 09:51 PM   #15 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

At least we don't have this problem with salt on the roads here in Brazil, not even in the very few places with snowfalls in the winter.

Reply  Post New Thread