Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2020, 08:32 AM   #21 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

WOW you really are the rear end whisper.

I searched a number of times on the internet trying to find the correct words to find that information.

Again a 1000 Thanks.

I love this van...like my 03 Crown Vic after a number of other cars, I worked out the best of all of them.

If you would like to see what all my fuss is about here is a few links:

Here is my main personal face book page: Send me a friend request so you can check all of this out.

https://www.facebook.com/richardacoyle7

First this insane van: There are an number of improvements that are not shown. Larger anti-sway bars, dual batteries under the floor behind the drivers door, a ceiling mounted A/C, converted to Hydro-boost brake system.

https://www.facebook.com/richardacoy...0269632&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/richardacoy...7783599&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/richardacoy...0309951&type=3

On the Fords here is the Mercury before the engine failure. I am moving and improving on all these details to its replacement a 03 Crown Vic P71 ex-cop car.

https://www.facebook.com/richardacoy...4656793&type=3

At the same time you can see what my day job has been.

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkhoss View Post
Here's info on B-body rear end widths. This says 91-96, but I know that sedan and wagon rear end dimensions are the same from 77-96:

https://www.impalassforum.com/thread...widths.237620/

Using that as a starting point, you can then use a parts website like rockauto.com to compare the length of axleshafts to determine the overall width of other assemblies, too.

It turns out that van rear ends (like yours) are wider than C10 pickup rear ends of the same generation. This was confirmed on the part interchange guides as well. I had assumed that they would be the same as pickup rear ends, but evidently they aren't.

Based on the information above, here are the approximate widths, from wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface, of the rear ends in question:

1977-1996 B/D body sedan: 61.7"
1977-1996 B body wagon: 64.7"
1981-1987 C10 truck: 63.7"
G10/20 van: 67.8"

So, you could run a B-body wagon rear end, but if you wanted to keep the same track width you'd need to use 1.5" spacers.

Yes. The carrier breaks for the 8.5" 10-bolt are 2.56 and down, and 2.73 and up.

-Funkhoss

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 01-29-2020, 08:54 AM   #22 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The Little Car - '00 Chevrolet Metro
90 day: 91.08 mpg (US)

The Big Car - '94 Chevrolet Caprice Wagon
90 day: 44.9 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by racprops View Post
WOW you really are the rear end whisper.

I searched a number of times on the internet trying to find the correct words to find that information.

Again a 1000 Thanks.
Nah--I'm just practiced in finding obscure info online. You're welcome.

Quote:
If you would like to see what all my fuss is about here is a few links:
I'm not on Facebook...sorry.

-Funkhoss

Old 01-29-2020, 11:02 AM   #23 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

OMG this is so very complex...The local junk yards have NO codes, other that popping the rear covers off and counting teeth and doing the math...they are totally lost, interchange only.

So once again any chance you might have to codes for to read what the insides of a rear end is?

Rich

Quote:
Nah--I'm just practiced in finding obscure info online. You're welcome.

I'm not on Facebook...sorry.

-Funkhoss
Old 01-29-2020, 11:05 AM   #24 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Nope--those tags are often missing, anyway. They'll have to count teeth, or look for teeth number stampings on the gears.

You'll need to verify too, of course, that it's the rare 8.75" 10/12 bolt hybrid, and not a standard 10-bolt.

-Funkhoss

Old 01-29-2020, 11:31 AM   #25 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanks again.

Rich

PS Some later model rear ends stamped such numbers into the axle, but I do remember those tags on a nut...
Old 01-29-2020, 12:07 PM   #26 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Thanks again.

Rich

PS Some later model rear ends stamped such numbers into the axle, but I do remember those tags on a nut...
This wish list is getting complex...two questions more, How can I tell a 8.75 from the other rear ends and any idea which make, year and model they came in??

And I came to a deeper question, what parts like these do you still have and are you willing to part with any?

I have been sitting on as many hay stacks I can but so far found no needles.

Rich
Old 01-31-2020, 02:38 PM   #27 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
This wish list is getting complex...two questions more, How can I tell a 8.75 from the other rear ends...
8.75" has "cut outs" on the sides of the cover. More info here: GM 7.5 VS. GM 8.75 Rearend

Quote:
...and any idea which make, year and model they came in??
I went over that in previous posts. Again, car-part.com is your friend. Search for variants with the "cut-out cover."

Quote:
And I came to a deeper question, what parts like these do you still have and are you willing to part with any?
At one point I had a set of 8.75" 2.28 gears and carrier. I also had a carrier that would allow you to put 2.41 gears in your factory 8.5" 10-bolt. I sold them a few years ago. I don't have anything else now.

-Funkhoss

Old 01-31-2020, 05:20 PM   #28 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
8.75" has "cut outs" on the sides of the cover. More info here: GM 7.5 VS. GM 8.75 Rearend

I went over that in previous posts. Again, car-part.com is your friend. Search for variants with the "cut-out cover."

Thanks that make it easier to spot.

At one point I had a set of 8.75" 2.28 gears and carrier. I also had a carrier that would allow you to put 2.41 gears in your factory 8.5" 10-bolt. I sold them a few years ago. I don't have anything else now.

-Funkhoss
As a number of times I am a little too late.

Thanks.

Rich
Old 07-15-2020, 04:14 AM   #29 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecky View Post
If you can still accelerate in top gear, there's still room for improvement.
EXACTLY my view! And 99,9 % of all hand shifted cars possesses a too short top gear, even with 6 gears. Exception: The 2020 Mazda 2 with ~ 1700 rpm / 60 mph in 6 th gear. Note: 1,5 - litre - naturally aspirated gas engine!
The Following User Says Thank You to Silent Blood For This Useful Post:
Ecky (07-15-2020)
Old 07-15-2020, 05:30 AM   #30 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

So after much searching, I found finding such a read end or even the parts impossible.

Plus I also was told that as no one makes gears for such a set up I would be stuck running some 50 year old ring and pinion carrier and perhaps even most of the rest of a rear end. And finding a possi unit even harder to find.

SO with all the trouble and time to try to salvage such an old rear end I now will now install an devoiced Borg Warner 1962 Overdrive from the Three Speed W/OD unit and add it to the tail end of my stock 4L60 transmission, and then rebuild my stock van’s rear end with a final set of new of near new gears and a possi carrier, and of course new bearings.

This over drive will than give me a major drop in RPMs, my numbers show that with just adding it will drop my RPMs to around 1800 at 85MPH…

Reply  Post New Thread