EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Tell me if I am crazy Solar RV Escape module (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/tell-me-if-i-am-crazy-solar-rv-40849.html)

j-c-c 03-21-2023 02:42 AM

Tell me if I am crazy Solar RV Escape module

I have long toyed to adding Solar power to my So Florida home. Florida is restricting further it looks like power company surplus solar buyback programs, plus they have lots of hoops to jump thru. Additionally, with Florida hurricanes, mounting anything high up unprotected on one's roof seems counterintuitive, especially with something one would really like to have operational post hurricane during a power outage.
Another idea I have toyed with is and just started is converting a 78 passenger COE diesel school bus into a hybrid RV/enclosed race car hauler. It will need its own economical power source for use at the tracks.
So, this is the idea, mount on its roof a 2800?Watt 120/240V solar/grid tied backup system, and come any hurricane, I don't have to worry about booking any high priced non-cancelable high in demand multi day hurricane stays in a hotel that might also become in the storm's path, I just load my food from my home refrig, fuel up, tow a second car on a trailer, and drive away as needed. Return post hurricane and power my home off a transfer switch connected to the RV solar/battery/diesel genset. I live alone so my power needs can be curtailed as power is available and still live comfortably in my home. I likely would oversize the RV with lithium battery capacity for longevity and weight in the RV.
It would be my RV/race car hauler/hurricane escape module. I could also incorporate a split basic/essential electric system for the house to be run 24/7 off the RV for reduced electric billing if I became industrious.
Am I crazy?

freebeard 03-21-2023 03:10 AM

Not at all. Your search term is 'Vehicle-to-Grid'. See also 'microgrid'.

Quote:

evtv.me › 2017 › 07 › selfishly-solar
Selfishly Solar - EVTV Motor Verks
This is a solar system you build for you and your house. It IS connected to the grid. But kind of as a backstop/supplement. We would use the grid if necessary. But we never give or sell back to it. And the concept is to pay the monthly minimum connection fee and not use any of their electricity at all.

https://diysolarforum.com › threads › something-i-built-diy-back-in-2000-on-my-house-and-it-shows.11 › page-2
Something I built DIY back in 2000, on my house and it shows
I am thinking bigger. Rickard calls this the "Selfish Solar" model. I want what Congressman Thomas Massie has built using this controller and Tesla batteries. Massie also coded the display module using a Raspberry Pi, that I believe he has licensed to Jack Rickard, which ships with each controller.

https://www.evtv.me › 2018 › 10 › 08 › solar-mqtt-selfish-solar-on-a-global-scale-bob-battery-on-board
Solar MQTT. Selfish Solar on a Global Scale - BOB (Battery on Board ...
Selfish Solar And of course a further mission is to reduce the complexity and cost of all this and primarily the complexity. How to do it with FEWER components and fewer changes to the vast majority of the extant solar installations in the country - 97% of which are grid-tied inverter or microinverter systems.
For the school bus, look to the storm chasers. Lay frame and drive screws into the ground.

Piotrsko 03-21-2023 09:01 AM

Hurricanes: no actual experience avoiding ujless you count living in a non hurricane locale. Tornadoes: move a couple hundred feet to the side of the vortex ( with a thing in my head saying go to the left side) and you don't need stakes. Armor against heavy pokey things, but staking not required. Imho, the staking is only necessary if you want to be really near the funnel point.

j-c-c 03-21-2023 10:04 AM

Thanks guys.
But I need to clarify, I have lived in Florida since 1955, went thru a number of hurricanes way before building codes were even thought of being upgraded. Hurricanes Donna and my last was Cleo in 1964 was it for me. I evacuate, period.
I will NEVER experience a hurricane again. I will run like a scared rabbit every time, and read afterwards all the reports of those who did after the storm robustly claim: "Never again, Didn't think it will hit us, It was so loud for hours, What am I going to do, Thought I could ride it out, All our food is spoiled, We have no electric, etc".
As long as the hurricane doesn't travel faster than 60mph, My Bus/RV will outrun it, so no hardening/staking is needed for me, and I leave before everyone else decides to leave.

nemo 03-21-2023 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j-c-c (Post 681902)
Thanks guys.
But I need to clarify, I have lived in Florida since 1955, went thru a number of hurricanes way before building codes were even thought of being upgraded. Hurricanes Donna and my last was Cleo in 1964 was it for me. I evacuate, period.
I will NEVER experience a hurricane again. I will run like a scared rabbit every time, and read afterwards all the reports of those who did after the storm robustly claim: "Never again, Didn't think it will hit us, It was so loud for hours, What am I going to do, Thought I could ride it out, All our food is spoiled, We have no electric, etc".
As long as the hurricane doesn't travel faster than 60mph, My Bus/RV will outrun it, so no hardening/staking is needed for me, and I leave before everyone else decides to leave.

I have know two people that evacuated only to put themselves in the direct path. As you say "I leave before everyone else decides to leave" this is the only way to do it. Before the traffic and refueling become a problem and far enough that the associated weather will not be a problem.

redpoint5 03-21-2023 12:08 PM

Even I like the idea, and I never like putting solar on a vehicle. An RV is a different use case though, so solar can make sense, especially in a sunny place. Sounds like a fun project.

freebeard 03-21-2023 01:31 PM

There are a number of situations that present a bug-out-else-hunker-down choice. When I worked for Oregon Dome there was a newspaper picture on the wall of a Texas town that looked like an unmade bed, with one white dome standing untouched in the middle.

That's why over a school bus I'd prefer my own motor home shell.

https://ecomodder.com/forum/member-f...07-7-35-02.png

Of course, since I can only dream, a semisubmersible house boat sounds like the best choice.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piotrsko
Tornadoes: move a couple hundred feet to the side of the vortex ( with a thing in my head saying go to the left side) and you don't need stakes. Armor against heavy pokey things

Wouldn't that be turning [locally] upwind? Also:

Quote:

https://www.accuweather.com › en › weather-blogs › weathermatrix › tornadoes-put-straw-through-poles › 90369
Tornadoes Put Straw Through Poles | AccuWeather
This site has a personal account describing a tornado that did such a thing in 1942. About.com states that "straw can be driven into telephone poles at speeds as low as 50 mph."...

j-c-c 03-21-2023 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nemo (Post 681903)
I have know two people that evacuated only to put themselves in the direct path. As you say "I leave before everyone else decides to leave" this is the only way to do it. Before the traffic and refueling become a problem and far enough that the associated weather will not be a problem.

Being in Florida for many decades, and dozens and dozens of hurricanes, the "leave before others..." has not always been possible for me for numerous reasons. However, whenever you leave, still leave IMO. A couple of times I swear I could see the storm in my rearview mirror (IRMA):eek: of course there is no gas, food or hotels available, but at that last minute there is actually very little traffic and no police, and if you break down for any reason you are completely on your own and you must be prepared.

freebeard 03-21-2023 03:47 PM

My parent's built a house on the Oregon coast in 1980. It was designed such that when the wind was blowing 100MPH, the only sound was the rain hitting the windowpanes. It was like a Mercedes-Benz at 100MPH.

180MPH winds sound achievable to me, airplanes fly faster than that. Maybe not with cedar shingles, but only because of airborne debris. Today I'd go with hexagonal concrete tiles.

I'd want noise cancellation in the home stereo, though. :)

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 03-22-2023 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by j-c-c (Post 681893)
It would be my RV/race car hauler/hurricane escape module. I could also incorporate a split basic/essential electric system for the house to be run 24/7 off the RV for reduced electric billing if I became industrious.
Am I crazy?

Sounds totally reasonable to me. I'd also consider something similar.