Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2021, 11:42 AM   #41 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
low drag

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroMcAeroFace View Post
I always thought of low drag as below 0.3, but maybe that was "low drag" at the time I started following aero.

But it depends on the power source, easier to get low drag by using electric power, so maybe my definition of low drag has changed now we need less cooling.

For me: sub 0.3 = low drag, sub 0.2 = very low drag, sub 0.15 = ultralow drag.

"Half-bodies, with active ground clearance and fairings would approach Cd 0.09." aerohead, what do you mean by that? I remember a discussion on here essentially saying that around 15cm is "optimal" for a "normal" car. How low or high would it need to be for the optimal for a half body? I would think optimal is zero.
* Cd 0.07 - 0.09 total drag was feasible by December, 1986 according to Hucho.
* Bentley and VOLVO won't be building internal combustion vehicles after 2030.
* General Motors by 2035.
* So, yes, BEVs will have a distinct advantage, drag wise, as demonstrated by today's EVs.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* The lowest drag half-body is Cd 0.0758, without wheels.
* According to Hucho, an overall drag of Cd 0.0758 would be feasible via integration of the wheels into the body.
* Goro Tamai, of MIT, demonstrated wheel drag reductions on the order of 70% by using full wheel fairings.
* Ground clearance requirements are essentially meaningless on the open road. Between active suspension and wheels fairings, 'wheel integration' of the order of magnitude of which Hucho spoke seems like old business.
* Look-ahead sensor arrays, scanning forwards, if detecting hazards, would trigger, say, air suspension, to increase clearance until clear of the hazard. Drivers could remain comatose, as they are now, with no impact on lifestyle.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread