EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   Tesla (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/tesla-26841.html)

HydroJim 09-02-2013 06:03 PM

Tesla

What do you guys think about how Tesla is doing?

I think it's a good thing and I hope it lasts. I think they need to bring a cheaper car to market though. Their 70,000 price is really not too bad compared to other luxury cars but eventually the luxury car buyers will dry up.

I like their battery swap idea at their tesla stations. It's the only way I think consumers will accept electric cars for long distance trips.

I don't understand why they don't make their cars more aerodynamic for more range. I guess they have to look cool to appeal to their customers.

Anyway, it's good to see one of the start-ups actually doing well.

Xist 09-02-2013 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HydroJim (Post 388429)
I don't understand why they don't make their cars more aerodynamic for more range. I guess they have to look cool to appeal to their customers.

Anyway, it's good to see one of the start-ups actually doing well.

I think that aerodynamic cars can look great! :)

I think that it is a start-up with a good product, not just another gimmick.

NachtRitter 09-02-2013 07:13 PM

The company is solid and the cars are well built. I've been impressed with the CEO Elon Musk as well... he knows how to get things done. I enjoy seeing him upset the status quo.

sheepdog 44 09-02-2013 08:04 PM

I think the company is solid too, but i would not buy stock. I think it's way inflated, hyped, and over valued and could come crashing down. Yes, all those people who bought stock early and held on made a ton of money. If i invested in silver several years ago, i could've made a ton too. Well silver is volatile, hit an artificially inflated bubble and came crashing down 6 months later.

The Model S is actually more aerodynamic than a prius. .24, .23?

gone-ot 09-02-2013 09:26 PM

...and, a LOT of people thought / believed ENRON and the DOT.COMs were solid too.

Allch Chcar 09-02-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

What do you guys think about how Tesla is doing?

I'm pretty sure he is dead. :D

NachtRitter 09-03-2013 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Tele man (Post 388481)
...and, a LOT of people thought / believed ENRON and the DOT.COMs were solid too.

You have something that says otherwise about Tesla? I believe there were a lot of clues about Enron and many of the dot coms that they weren't solid before they went down... what do you have regarding Tesla?

jeff88 09-03-2013 01:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NachtRitter (Post 388445)
I've been impressed with the CEO Elon Musk as well... he knows how to get things done. I enjoy seeing him upset the status quo.

I wouldn't mind seeing him be my Senator, then something might actually get done in East Coast Hollywood, err I mean D.C.

Actually in all honesty I have no clue where his delgation would be, but his headquarters is here :)

Ryland 09-03-2013 09:13 AM

Quote:

I think it's a good thing and I hope it lasts. I think they need to bring a cheaper car to market though. Their 70,000 price is really not too bad compared to other luxury cars but eventually the luxury car buyers will dry up.

Can't you say the same thing of gasoline luxury cars? that the gasoline luxury market going to dry up too at some point, maybe once everyone who can afford a gasoline car ends up owning one?

Quote:

I like their battery swap idea at their tesla stations. It's the only way I think consumers will accept electric cars for long distance trips.

Cars are not a good idea for long distance trips, that is why airplanes are popular.
The guy I was talking to who owns a Tesla and is planing to buy a 2nd model S, said that his plan for the very rare occasion that he wants to drive longer then his car's range is to swap vehicles with a friend or neighbor.

I think what is going to help them to keep selling cars is to build a smaller car, even if it's not any cheaper, the size of the Tesla S is the biggest complaint that I have heard, the car is huge!

sheepdog 44 09-03-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 388544)
I think what is going to help them to keep selling cars is to build a smaller car, even if it's not any cheaper, the size of the Tesla S is the biggest complaint that I have heard, the car is huge!

I've heard it was huge too, but the first one i saw in person wasn't any larger than any other luxury car.

Tesla Pays Back U.S. Early as Musk Aims for Affordability - Bloomberg
Quote:

That car, not yet named, would be priced below $40,000, and reach consumers in “three to four years,” Musk said in an interview today on “Bloomberg West.” It will have a range of about 200 miles (322 kilometers) per charge, he said in the television interview.
I wonder if the target of 200 miles at $40,000 is factoring in the cost of batteries going down. If not, hopefully it'll be really aerodynamic.