Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2016, 05:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

While driving through Nebraska (where the wind is never with you) in a '92 T&C, my mpg dropped to below 16 unless I was drafting. The T&C had a near real-time mpg readout which made it easier to pick a safe spot in the wake of a semi. I tried to stay as far back as possible and still get some benefit (at least 2 seconds). I would then get 24 mpg or better. Crosswinds were harder to compensate for, as the wake was much shorter and the following distances were too close for safety.

Sometimes, the trucks were just going too slow and I wanted to get home. When you are driving cross-country, driving time and fatigue are legitimate considerations (for me) to balance against economy.

When driving a 5th gen Elantra from California to Utah on I-80, I hit strong (gale force) crosswinds from the North, just beyond Elko. Every time I crossed a valley, and again, on the Salt Flats, the mpg dropped below 20. I wondered if the prominent swage lines made it particularly vulnerable to crosswinds.

Nothing quite beats driving a long, lonely desert highway cruising at 95+mph in a big rear-wheel drive whale with the deep, gentle purr of a big-block V8. Serenity (at 16 mpg, maybe). The ecomodded caprice wagon is intriguing as a cruiser.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acparker For This Useful Post:
aerohead (07-15-2016), skyking (07-16-2016)
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 07-14-2016, 08:27 AM   #12 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 2,790 Times in 1,959 Posts
Way back in the early 1980's when I put a sizable front chin spoiler on my short-box Ford van (a 1976 model), the only marked improvements I recall were during windy conditions.

With front chin spoiler (in any direction wind) the van really held the road and I was able to do the speed limit safely.

1977 Porsche 911s Targa
1998 Chevy S-10 Pick-Up truck
1989 Scat II HP Hovercraft

Chin Spoiler:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...effective.html

Rear Spoiler Pick Up Truck
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-t...xperiment.html

Roof Wing
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...1-a-19525.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kach22i For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2016, 01:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
wdb
lurker's apprentice

PlainJane - '12 Toyota Tacoma Base 4WD Access Cab
90 day: 20.98 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
Way back in the early 1980's when I put a sizable front chin spoiler on my short-box Ford van (a 1976 model), the only marked improvements I recall were during windy conditions.

With front chin spoiler (in any direction wind) the van really held the road and I was able to do the speed limit safely.
The results were not quite as dramatic for me, but I added a front undertray to a 2008 Honda Fit and noticed 3 benefits:
  • increased stability at highway speeds, especially noticeable in disrupted air or high winds
  • improved fuel economy
  • improved front end grip when hooning around my favorite offramps

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wdb For This Useful Post:
Reply  Post New Thread