Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Forum News & Feedback
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2012, 06:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Is there a certified CNG conversion kit for the Metro?

I searched ecomodder though in the surface of my search I couldn't find any threads on a CNG conversion of a Metro.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-04-2012, 07:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
Moderate your Moderation.

Pasta - '96 Volkswagen Passat TDi
90 day: 45.22 mpg (US)
There's a propane kit somewhere that's more of a shopping list than anything, but you can use all those parts with some modifications to run NG as well. The hardest part to source is likely to be the large capacity high pressure tank.

That you live in NY may change things slightly. I'm sure the installation will need to be inspected for both safety and emissions as well as the title being updated to reflect the changes, and that's if they'll "allow" the conversion without going through a custom vehicle inspection.

Old 03-21-2013, 02:09 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

If you go to the EPA website they have a list of vehicles and "approved retrofit kits" for those vehicles. I do not believe i have seen one for the metro. with that said unless your state has regulation in place that prevents you from using another aftermarket kit, as long as you have a tank that isn't expired you can easily retro fit it for a fraction of the cost of the "EPA approved vehicles and kits", and be way ahead of the game. The only benefit you have from an EPA kit is that there is a federal Tax incentive for brand new vehicles and some states will recognize the vehicle and provide a state tax incentive as well that helps to pay for your kit. In the end you still come out loosing your shorts on their kits because they mark the price up 5-6K because it carries the stamp. It doesn't perform any better than many of the other aftermarket kits they have simply wasted their money with the EPA to get stamp to coerce simple minded individuals into wasting their money for another useless gov program. (sorry for the rant). There are many kits available that run on any vehicle and it will save you money and you will run a cleaner burning fuel and be greener than the next guy for doing it. Just make sure to have a tank that is DOT approved and hasn't expired. There are some other simple things to consider as well but if you have the CNG available and you drive enough to make it worth it...go for it!
Old 03-21-2013, 02:11 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Check out Mycngguy and shoot him an email. He has alot of information and kits available that run great!
Old 03-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ View Post
There's a propane kit somewhere that's more of a shopping list than anything, but you can use all those parts with some modifications to run NG as well. The hardest part to source is likely to be the large capacity high pressure tank.

That you live in NY may change things slightly. I'm sure the installation will need to be inspected for both safety and emissions as well as the title being updated to reflect the changes, and that's if they'll "allow" the conversion without going through a custom vehicle inspection.
Maybe only the electronic controls from an LPG conversion kit might be possible to use in a CNG conversion, but all the other hardware is more overbuilt. Anyway, for some older cars the EPA seems to be more flexible regarding alternative fuel systems. Anyway, you could check for components from EPA-certified companies such as Landi Renzo and search for a suitable CNG tank, which is better to be DOT-certified for your own safety. I have some experience with CNG in Latin America, and I wouldn't use LPG tanks and valves for CNG or other workarounds you could often be adviced to do...
Old 03-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Thanks for all of your replies, though I've gained a new perspective. I'd rather get a biogas (methane) collecting system and extract from my relatives cows, and convert a car to run on biogas. The CNG industry really bothers me. By the way if any of you are wondering CNG and straight methane are different enough(at least according to my internet research) so to the point that they need different systems. The only other fuel I consider for my fathers, now basically mine, broken Subaru Legacy(we suspect one broken piston rod) is methanol made at home. These projects likely won't happen anytime soon though.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:46 PM   #7 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrersize View Post
I'd rather get a biogas (methane) collecting system and extract from my relatives cows, and convert a car to run on biogas. The CNG industry really bothers me. By the way if any of you are wondering CNG and straight methane are different enough(at least according to my internet research) so to the point that they need different systems.
With biomethane, a different filtering setup is required due to the impurities. After all, you could do some redneck-engineering with low-pressure systems and even mess with gas-bags, in a similar setup to what was used until the 90's in some Chinese buses.

Quote:
The only other fuel I consider for my fathers, now basically mine, broken Subaru Legacy(we suspect one broken piston rod) is methanol made at home.
Either methanol or ethanol can be easily homebrewed. In Brazilian jails, it's not unusual for the inmates to make an alcoholic beverage similar to cachaça, but using corn, rice and fruit leftovers (mainly orange peel) instead.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:12 AM   #8 (permalink)
home of the odd vehicles

Silver - '10 Chevy Cobalt XFE
In reality there really aren't any EPA approved conversions unless it came from the factory, morally however why bother?
Old 04-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Hexd - '93 Honda DX Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmay635703 View Post
In reality there really aren't any EPA approved conversions unless it came from the factory, morally however why bother?
Not sure what's meant here by "morally", BUT~
I was doing bi-fuel (petro/CNG) conversions thar were not only EPA approved, but government subsidized as well, back i the early-mid 1990's. Aaah, yes~ here we go:
http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...s93_022607.pdf
As we all (hopefully) know 49-state emissions regulations pale in comparison to CA's anal outlook on things. These retrofit kits were manufactured by Stewart & Stevenson, piggybacked on the factory ECU, and were relatively (experience as a variable) easy to install. I did several dozen myself while employed in a municipal fleet maintenance garage for a medium-sized (100-250k) city. I even still have the programming software installed on my antique lap- (and I use the term loosely- we're talkin Win95 as cutting edge) top. A search outsde EMod will yield results worth studying as well. The closer you are to mountain/cental time zones the more economical this will be~ as it is there that the largest natural gas field in the world resides, and thereby infrastructure. The farther you get from the sweet spot (between the Rockies and the Mississippi river), the more natural gas will cost you.
BTU's for CNG are in the range of 75-80% of petro-gas, but (at the time I was doing these conversions) the cost per gallon equivalent was in the 40-45% range, and kit price plus labor was around $2000. Supply & demand being what it is, I'm certain the price has dropped...
FYI~
STEWART & STEVENSON LLC (SNS) IPO - NASDAQ.com
The CEO's name sounds remarkably similar to the guy that schooled me back then....
Not gonna type my life away here~ but if you have Q's feel free to PM me!

Peace~
Scott

Reply  Post New Thread