EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   TheSheMullet (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/theshemullet-7075.html)

TheSheMullet 02-11-2009 07:10 AM

TheSheMullet

Hey There
Just joined.
Hoping to get some tips on better mileage.
I currently travel 80 Miles each day from/to work.
I have a Nissan Serena (same base model vehicle as binky, only it's the full 8 seater MPV based on Nissan Delivery shell) at the moment that is running on Biodiesel.
I am thinking of changing this over to electric.
Just in the researching phase.
Oh and I'm from Ireland.
Regards

Johnny Mullet 02-11-2009 07:28 AM

Welcome to ecomodder!

hummingbird 02-11-2009 08:49 AM

Hi, welcome to Ecomodder!

Could not understand the bit about hauling an 8 seater 80 miles a day for office commuting! Why are you so hard on yourself?

TheSheMullet 02-11-2009 10:00 AM

Well, it is a very reliable vehicle with a big diesel engine, and if your gonna travel up to 42000 miles a year, you need a big reliable diesel engine. Anything smaller or petrol based would not be worth anything in 4+ years. Remember it's 80 mile each way each day. An electric engine would also suit (i think) because of the high torque and simplicity (also reduced weight). The van is designed in such a way that you sit on where the engine is (mid mount engine rear wheel drive). So if I replace the engine, it leaves a lot of space in the cavity for batteries, also there will be plenty of space under the bonnet in the front because the raditor and it's tubing/piping will be gone. Also as it has a space for packages at the back, this is more space for batteries. Finally, if I needed even more space I could just remove the last row of back seats, making it a 5 seater. It seemed the correct vehicle for the long term plan I had. I bought it second hand 3 years ago and hope to still have it in another 5-10.
Regards

MetroMPG 02-11-2009 11:31 AM

TheSheMullet and Johnny Mullet together in the same thread! And so close to Valentine's Day! :)

(Just joshing.)

The challenge of going 80 miles in a large boxy electric vehicle will be stuffing enough batteries in it (or enough money into the project to get "advanced" batteries) to get the range. Have you looked around the EV Album for conversion examples ? It's a great place to start to get an idea of what's possible.

MazdaMatt 02-11-2009 11:37 AM

Hello and good luck! What mileage numbers have you been getting? Have you been trying to drive "eco" for a while? I'm interested in how much you spend in gas each year driving that many miles.

Clev 02-11-2009 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSheMullet (Post 87322)
Well, it is a very reliable vehicle with a big diesel engine, and if your gonna travel up to 42000 miles a year, you need a big reliable diesel engine. Anything smaller or petrol based would not be worth anything in 4+ years.

My 1990 Honda Accord with 292,000 miles @ 34 mpg (36,000 miles/year) would beg to differ with you. :-)

hummingbird 02-11-2009 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSheMullet (Post 87322)
... The van is designed in such a way that you sit on where the engine is (mid mount engine rear wheel drive)...

No offense, but this looks to me a vehicle meant basically as a station-wagon, maximizing space for urban pick-up-and-drop use. Would have no crumple zone, setting the driver at the edge of the vehicle itself... maybe I am barking up the wrong subject, but I'm concerned... you use it for 80 miles of highway commuting a day...

hypermiler01 02-11-2009 09:07 PM

Volkswagen TDi

You certainly do not need a big engine to carry nothing but yourself.

tasdrouille 02-11-2009 10:48 PM

You're lucky enough to live on the right side of the pond. If it were me, I'd get a Polo with a small diesel engine in no time.